Home Non Cigar Related
Options

DVD Usb

roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
Trying to watch movie on a dvd player through a usb drive, do the movies need to be in a specific format? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
One God, One Truth

Comments

• Options
    EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not all dvd or bluray players play video on thumb drives. I've played mp4 and avi files on certain players. If you have an xbox 360 or ps3 you can play most file types.
  • Options
    Didnt think about the Xbox. Ill try that. Thanks bub
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most new TVs also have usb drives and they tend to play a larger selection of files compared to DVD players
  • Options
    No go on xbox, says i need an external wireless adapter, dont have one. Our tv is a vizio flatscreen, but no usb port.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    You're xbox isn't connected to the internet? I had to download a file to be able to play movies off a usb.
  • Options
    Yeah, it says that I need to download an update for it, but without an external thing I cant connect to the internet.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    You don't have a hard line you can connect your xbox to?
  • Options
    Andrew_DzikoskiAndrew_Dzikoski Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    Do you have a roku or Amazon fire?
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So if I'm understanding correctly --- the movie you want to play is on the USB drive, not a disc?
    Correct?

Can you plug the USB drive into a computer and see what the file extension is?
    Is it a single video file; with something like a .mkv, .mp4, or .avi file extension?
    Or is it an ISO image / DVD rip with a whole set of subfolders and files??

Depending on the file extension, and what your playback devices support (or don't support).....you may be limited to playing it on a computer, with something like VLC player.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    Im just a bumpkin from the sticks. What I did was download it to the comp and then burned them to a disk. Now they work. Thanks for all the imputs
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    Andrew_DzikoskiAndrew_Dzikoski Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    If you have a roku or amazon fire or I think you can even do it on xbox but check out plex.tv you can stream anything from your PC that you have downloaded to your TV like your own personal Netflix.