Home General Discussion
Options

How much a month is too much to spend on cigars?

At my current rate of outflow, the cigar.com people are going to put a picture of me up in their offices.  My question to you is:  how much is too much?  I'm wondering if I just have newbie fever.  I am trying to tell myself that I am spending money on something that I will be burning up with fire.  I could just roll up dollar bills and smoke them instead!  I don't think it would taste as good though...

Comments

• Options
    BTJR99BTJR99 Posts: 97
    If you can't pay your bills or feed your family, then you are spending too much. You can't put a number on it cause everyone's situation is different. Also I would not be going into debt for cigars either. Use only disposable income and you will be fine.
  • Options
    BTJR, you are of course correct.  I should have been more specific, however.  Let's assume that obligations are not an issue.  Right now, I have a 5-7 stick a week habit.  At $10 a stick, that's $280/mo.  I'm currently spending significantly more than that and, for that matter, I almost always buy heavily discounted cigars so it's more like $3/stick.  As I think about it in these terms, it seems to me that I shouldn't spend more than $84/mo. on cigars.
  • Options
    nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    Sounds like you just answered your own question?
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    RobRutkowski:
    BTJR, you are of course correct.  I should have been more specific, however.  Let's assume that obligations are not an issue.  Right now, I have a 5-7 stick a week habit.  At $10 a stick, that's $280/mo.  I'm currently spending significantly more than that and, for that matter, I almost always buy heavily discounted cigars so it's more like $3/stick.  As I think about it in these terms, it seems to me that I shouldn't spend more than $84/mo. on cigars.
    LMAO, yeah right. Let us know how that works out for ya !
  • Options
    Im new to this forum, however i know what your talking about. U only live once, aslong as the bills r paid and the kids are fed and of course the wife is happy, whats left is yours buddy. Smoke it up.
  • Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Too much, like the others have said, is when you can't pay your basic living costs. Always remember to save money for emergencies too.
  • Options
    TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    Well now, there are other things too. Don't forget to put a bit in those red pots this holiday season, or donate to your local food shelves!

We cigar smokers have to set a good example.

• Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Theedge:
    Well now, there are other things too. Don't forget to put a bit in those red pots this holiday season, or donate to your local food shelves! We cigar smokers have to set a good example.
    ... a man after my own heart. Thanks for mentioning this. If everyone would give the price of one cigar, say five dollars to some sort of charity. My favorite is Feed The Children. And Ronald McDonald House. But, your local food pantry is good, the "Red Kettles" Salvation Army, anything that makes you feel good about yourself and your ability to help others. There are many less fortunate than ourselves and a little means so much to those who have nothing.
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    RobRutkowski:
    LMAO, yeah right. Let us know how that works out for ya !
    I've managed to accumulate a pretty good selection in the humidor and like you Mr. Rob Rutkowski, I average less than $3.00 per stick by buying only heavily discounted, on sale cigars! I only average about 1-4 cigars per week, but I also usually don't spend more than $40 in most months.
  • Options
    One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    I think a lot of folks spend more when starting out. I've also noticed buying goes in spurts a lot of times. No one can answer waht is too much for another person. Let your conscience be your guide. Also, everyone has different hobbies and priorities. For some, it might be worth it to sacrifice other areas to have their dream car or to be able to play a few rounds of golf a week or have a stamp collection. Cigars are no different. One needs to decide what it is worth, and what is "too much" to themselves.
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    One2gofst:
    I think a lot of folks spend more when starting out. I've also noticed buying goes in spurts a lot of times. No one can answer waht is too much for another person. Let your conscience be your guide. Also, everyone has different hobbies and priorities. For some, it might be worth it to sacrifice other areas to have their dream car or to be able to play a few rounds of golf a week or have a stamp collection. Cigars are no different. One needs to decide what it is worth, and what is "too much" to themselves.
    Very true about spending more when starting out. Most are spending more just trying to get everything that everyone else is talking about. Plus you're buying humidors and solution and digital hydrometers and crystals and cutters and lighters and ashtrays and.... oh God! I'm glad I'm a bargain hunter.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I'm just a sucker for trying new cigars, so even though I've got more than enough, it seems I'm always finding something that sounds good. I've come across a lot of good cigars that way and now that I've kinda found my niche of cigars that really speak to me, my spending has dropped. I'm also over the excitement of buying more cigars, so I'm more selective and avoid temptation a bit more now than when I was 6 months into the hobby.
  • Options
    JKTexJKTex Posts: 92
    If you're worrying or even thinking a lot about how much you spend on cigar smoking, you're spending way too much.

Everyone should watch their spending, no matter how much wealth they have or how much money they make.  But the cigar smoking experience does not include worrying about how much you spend.  When it gets to that point, you're priorities are screwed up and you're taking the purpose away from the experience.

Personally, what I let guide me is what I have in stock and how much enjoyment I get from it.  Currently I can't really fit anything else in my humidors and have even moved to a cooler for a full box.  I look at what I have and at this point I know what cigars I'm happy about having and ones that I might have made a different choice about.  I manage the inventory by smoking what makes me feel good and know I have cigars that I feel good about sharing with friends who really don't smoke much but really appreciate when I have something to offer them.

It's like boating.  There are a lot of people with boats but they don't enjoy boating as a "boater" does until they appreciate the lifestyle; which most never do.
  • Options
    Sol1821Sol1821 Posts: 707 ✭✭
    betasynn:
    Too much, like the others have said, is when you can't pay your basic living costs. Always remember to save money for emergencies too.
    such as 80% off your fav stick in the dotd;)
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I am blowing $175+ a month on cigars. For the BOTL who said to be sure to save for emergencies, If I am out of premium sticks THAT IS AN EMERGENCY!
  • Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    As for spending too much...just think of this. In other countries, the Tobacco Tax is crazy high. A $5 stick in U.S. will fetch $26.50 in the country just north of you. Picture how much others are paying for cigars and count yourself fortunate.....very fortunate.