Home Non Cigar Related
Options

jerky

13»

Comments

• Options
    NorthsideSmokeNorthsideSmoke Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    tastes off, the marinade tasted great, but the finished product has some funk to it. Not going to use curry next time because that's what I think caused the funk.
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dehydrating vinegar is a bad idea :)
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My standard mix is worchhestershire (spell check?), soy sauce, seasoning salt (prefer Johnny Salt from the North West), garlic powder, onion powder, some brown sugar and black pepper. To this you can add any other spicy peppers or hot sauce or more sugar to make it sweeter.
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    I've thought about trying oven jerky but what about jerking my meats in my electric smoker, should work and keep the house cool, no?

I'd put sand instead of water in the pan. 
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Devildog1Devildog1 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've made some jerky and "slim jims" with deer before.  I cheat and use High Mountain seasoning, never made my own seasoning and marinade.  
  • Options
    Wylaff said:
    Dehydrating vinegar is a bad idea :)
    Yeah, Wayne I agree it was probably the vinegar in the Frank's that did it.  
  • Options
    So batch 2 is marinading, kept it simple so I don't expect any funk this time. I will dry it out tomorrow and we'll see.   
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I may be making some elk jerky this winter.  :D
    This was yesterday.
    Nephew bow hunting.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    I liked the second batch very sweet and spicy, I am on batch 3a and 3b right now much more traditional on batch 3a a lot of pepper and smoke. 3b is similar with a touch of java thrown in. I am very pleased with these final two batches so they will be heading out to @CigarPunk and @danielzreyes tomorrow 

DZR thanks again for those cigar rests I hope you enjoy the jerky brother. I am glad I was able to get this final batch to taste as good as it does. I hear you're a hard man to provide cigars to lol.  
  • Options
    lol well I have tried the jave blend a couple of times now, you won't hurt my feelings if you throw it out, it kind of tasted good but then it wears on ya.
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dude. It looks like you worked hard on these.  I'd like to at least pay for them
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    pretty sure you did lol :) next batch I'll send a band for a custom DZR rest that would make me way happier. 
  • Options
    Just cooked up the marinade for batch 4. Man if the jerky can pull in the flavor of this marinade I am going to be stoked.. I might have finally got it just the way I like it. 

Letting it cool before I add the beef, so sometime this weekend I will dry it out and we'll see. 
  • Options
    Easily the best batch I have made so far. Really happy with it. Wish I would have done a double batch. But next time for sure it will be. 
  • Options
    matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is making my mouth water. 

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Ok, now that Jerky Boy (@danielzreyes) is back, I've got a hankering to try and make some smoked salmon in my pellet grill.  That, and I got sticker shock on the smoked salmon at the Farmers Market this morning.

@0patience, @avengethis, @Patrickbrick, who's got a good smoked salmon recipe for me?

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Yakster said:
    Ok, now that Jerky Boy (@danielzreyes) is back, I've got a hankering to try and make some smoked salmon in my pellet grill.  That, and I got sticker shock on the smoked salmon at the Farmers Market this morning.

@0patience, @avengethis, @Patrickbrick, who's got a good smoked salmon recipe for me?

Basic brine for smoking is water, salt and sugar.
    I prefer brown sugar.

But I go with this basic recipe.
    4 cups water. (sometimes we use sea water from the Pacific and use no salt)
    2 cups sugar (I use brown sugar)
    1 cup sea salt or Pickling salt (user preference) 

Then I add spices.
    I go with 3 tablespoons of lemon pepper and 1 clove of garlic.

But that part is all experimenting what you like.
    Some folks use soy sauce, terriyaki, peppers, white wine and herbs.

I marinate for 48 hours, stirring once in a while.
    Apple wood or cherry wood are my favorite, but we've gotten the barrel chips from Jack Daniels and that really does well. Alder works well here. 
    I like about 14 hours smoke time, but again, that's all preference stuff.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    Thanks, Tony.  I see most recipes call for brown sugar, I'd like to try cutting down on sugar for my Wife, any idea what would be the consequences with smoked salmon of a low sugar version?
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Sugar keeps bacteria from forming and locks in moisture. 
    The salt draws out moisture from the fish/meat and the brine is drawn in. 
    The sugar maintains moisture in the meat. 

I would look on the internet and see if there is a low sugar brine, but I think you will find most will have a basic proportion of sugar.
    I prefer brown sugar, because it is part molasses and doesn't have the sharp taste of sugar. 

Remember though, the amount of sugar used isn't the total amount that is going to end up in the smoked fish.
    The most carbs I have seen listed on smoked salmon here is 1g.  

My wife is Type 2 diabetes and my son is Type 1. So we look. LOL!

Let me check in the freezer. I may have some wild Pacific Salmon in the freezer already done. Not sure. I don't normally go in the freezer, so I have no idea. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    @Yakster
    I have a couple pounds of peppered smoked Chinook Salmon in the house freezer. 
    Momma will check and see if we have any more in the deep freezer.
    I should be able to pick up some dry ice and get it shipped out Tuesday.

PM me your address. 
    I know I have it already in my PMs, but since there is no search for those messages, it would take me all day to find it. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said: