Home Cigar 101
Options

glasstop humidor

I would like to hear peoples opinion on glasstop humidors. I have heard that the glass doesn't let the humidor reach its full potential in humidity because the glass doesn't let the RH regulate to the specific humidifcation level to your liking in my case a pound of heartfelt humidty beads at 70 percent RH. ANY INPUT IS WELCOMED

Comments

• Options
    EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the look of them but sunlight and cigars are not friends.
  • Options
    thanks for your input. I keep my humidor out of the sunlight and in a cool spot of my house.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    More wood will help regulate rh, but if you get a glass top that is large enough, it'll be fine. I'd maybe not get a small desktop glasstop, like a 20 ct, because you're giving up a big percentage of cedar, but if it's an end table or 200 ct, probably not a big deal.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My go-to humidor is a glass top and I have never had a problem.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    adrianzamudio55@gmail.com:
    I would like to hear peoples opinion on glasstop humidors. I have heard that the glass doesn't let the humidor reach its full potential in humidity because the glass doesn't let the RH regulate to the specific humidifcation level to your liking in my case a pound of heartfelt humidty beads at 70 percent RH. ANY INPUT IS WELCOMED
    love my glass top. it's the first humi i owned and what got me into this hobby.
    never had an issue with regulating RH in the 5+ years I've been using it....(other than seasonal drop in the winter time but that happens with all my humis)....

i use 3 small jar gels (similar to this one: http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?prod=M-HUM33) and a couple small (8 gram) boveda packs for humidification.
    RH is rock solid and hovers right around 65-67%

depending on what size of glass top you're going for a pound of beads may be overkill, just my $0.02.
    and as Eulogy mentioned, just keep it out of direct sunlight.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a small desktop glasstop humidor.  Being a noob, I didn't know any better.  I will say that so far, it has held consistent, using the included humidifier and I also bought a Drymistadt Humidor Tube and stuck it in there.  Its out of the sun.  Has about 35 cigars in it now.  Holding up so far consistently.  As I am progressing though, I realize that a larger humidor is necessary.  :)
    How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    skydiverD said:
    I have a small desktop glasstop humidor.  Being a noob, I didn't know any better.  I will say that so far, it has held consistent, using the included humidifier and I also bought a Drymistadt Humidor Tube and stuck it in there.  Its out of the sun.  Has about 35 cigars in it now.  Holding up so far consistently.  As I am progressing though, I realize that a larger humidor is necessary. 
    As long as it is out of the sun and in a place where there isn't too much temperature fluctuation (goes for all humidors) you will not have a problem. Enjoy your glass top. I like my glass top a lot. I eyeball it all the time (it is a desktop and it is on my desk) and I am planning my next cigar with out ever having to open a humidor because it is my go-to box and I fill it once a week from my other humidors. Don't worry about it, it is your friend.

But as you have stated a larger humidor will always be a necessity unless your Walt Basil and have built your own (and a few other showoffs).
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Its not the glass itself that causes some people difficulty, its the seal around the glass where it meets the wood. If you have a good seal you're golden. I loved my old glass top. It was so nice to see my cigars without having to open the humi. Because of this they have the potential to be a better humi if you like to constantly open them up to see your cigars.
  • Options
    skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its not the glass itself that causes some people difficulty, its the seal around the glass where it meets the wood. If you have a good seal you're golden. I loved my old glass top. It was so nice to see my cigars without having to open the humi. Because of this they have the potential to be a better humi if you like to constantly open them up to see your cigars.
    I also totally love looking htrough the glass top.  I have this on my desk, and find myself "looking through the glass" many times throughout my day! :smiley: 
    How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
  • Options
    kos22uskos22us Posts: 47
    I have the Milano glass top desk top humidor and I love it, not only do I enjoy seeing the cigars but more importantly I like to see my readings with out opening it all the time
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got a medium sized glass top as a gift.  It seems to have a pretty good seal and I placed in an area of the room that never gets direct sun.  So far so good, and I too like peeking through the glass to see my cigars.
  • Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I were a rich man (queue Tevye):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1sQvhtSXMw

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    Great video!
  • Options
    ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He really loves that coffee table.
  • Options
    I happend to see that table at a B & M yesterday, what a beautiful piece of furniture and it would make a fantastic conversation piece in a man cave.
  • Options
    kemper74kemper74 Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    I have the:

Round El Rey Glass Dome Top Cigar Humidor

http://www.cheaphumidors.com/humidors/medium-humidors/the-round-el-rey-glass-dome-top-cigar-humidor.html

It's a great humidor that seals great.  Holds temp/RH.  I love walking by it and shooting a look at my sticks.  Beautiful and easy to move around if needed thanks to the handles.  Like mentioned in other posts.....KEEP ALL GLASS TOP HUMIDORS OUT OF THE SUNLIGHT!
  • Options
    kemper74kemper74 Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    Tried to post a link to the video and it didn't want to load.  I'm new here, so give me time and I'll get it figured out.   ;)
  • Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you stay here long enough you will need a second and third humidor
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got 2 glass tops. One is a desktop that I've had since the beginning. The other is an end table humi I've had about 3 years. Never have had any problems with them. Though I am constantly telling my wife and daughter not to lay crap on my humi. Also I keep them in a room that's on the shaded side of the house so direct sunlight is not an issue. It's also the coolest side of the house.