Home Cigar 101
Options

Tupperdor

I have recently purchased a air tight container to put a couple of boxes in and any loose singles. my question to all you guys is what can I do to get that plastic smell out of the container so it wont ruin my cigars. I would also like to know if I place my humidor in there as well would it be receiving the same humidty as the tupperdor. ALL INPUT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Comments

• Options
    EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you leave the lid of the humidor open, it should be fine. With an air tight container, you should open it every few day or the humidity will get too high. I've heard some people have had luck putting newspaper inside the container to absorb the smell.
  • Options
    I appreciate the your input. I will be testing that out and see how cigars turn out. Thanks again
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rinsing with soap and water, and then newspaper usually does the trick. Sometimes coolers come with a plastic smell and needs a rinse before use. Then you're set!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eulogy:
    If you leave the lid of the humidor open, it should be fine. With an air tight container, you should open it every few day or the humidity will get too high. I've heard some people have had luck putting newspaper inside the container to absorb the smell.

This is good to know!

I was considering a 5 gal bucket with one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Gamma-Seal-Lid-Black/dp/B0089QJQTS

But I think I will stick with the table top humi and eventually work up to something larger (wineador, perhaps).

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Agreed, wash with soap and water then leave open for a while, should take care of it. May want to leave it open in a higher temp than it will be used at too. Oder is probably the plasticizers leaching out and will eventually go away. Like that new car smell eventually goes away too, lol. Lots of these are made with recycled polymers now and just plain stink for a while. Tupperware type products are usually made from polyproplyene or a similar crystalline type material. Virgin poly-pro has a kind of mild Crayon/waxy odor but companies that use recycled regrind get all kinds of different "designer" materials that were used for specific applications and may have some funky additives. Generally, the stiffer the plastic, the less it smells after processing and is much more stable.
  • Options
    CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ground coffee works great! Also, I'd advise against a completely air tight container. A better solution is the iris weathertight containers as they are sealed very well but not completely air tight. You pop in two large 65% boveda packs and you have a fool proof set up that will be a breeze (for CA weather anyway mine is 65-69% always, if you live in a dry area then 70% may be better). Other containers can work but you may have to leave a small crack in the seal and then it gets tricky to find the right balance of air flow and humidity regulation. 

I've tried many solutions over the years from fridgadors, tuperdors, expensive humidors, cheap humidors, plastic gallon bags ect and all the various humidification elements: beads, gels, pucks, floral foam, PG/water ect and the iris containers with boveda packs has been hands down the easiest set up. I just works all the time/every-time. 

Good luck with your set up!