Home Non Cigar Related

Finding a Rental Home in PA/MD...

MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
...stinks. For the same home I have in the Memphis area at $1100/month, I would be paying around $2500. Purchasing would be better, but we don't want to do that until my wife finds a job.

Still, I'm grateful that I've found something. It's an old farmhouse with some issues, but the price is right and it has more than enough space for us. It's also got some really nice updates and a few in progress. Plus the location is perfect for getting to know the area and access to highways/employment. Oddly enough, I don't have the actual address for the house, yet. I guess that will come tonight. This has been more than a month of searching and I'm ready to actually have a day off on my days off.
Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.

Comments

• ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on finding a place. That can be a real pain.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Martel:
    ...stinks. For the same home I have in the Memphis area at $1100/month, I would be paying around $2500.
    Dunno the details where you are renting, nor in Memphis... ... but taxes could make the diff. One gal who works here and lives in PA, her property taxes are twelve plus grand a year; so a rental would have to charge another thou right there. School taxes are another big nut. Between the two, it doubles her mortgage. By comparison, school and property taxes here in Dull-Aware are like four hundred combined for the year.

Just spitballing here.

BTW -- I am trying to get out your way this weekend to visit the cigar factory. Need to ride my Indian Scout, and that's a nice ride. Maybe we can herf at Westminster to Fredneck. Been wanting to try rye beer brewed in Fredneck anyways.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    webmost:
    Martel:
    ...stinks. For the same home I have in the Memphis area at $1100/month, I would be paying around $2500.
    Dunno the details where you are renting, nor in Memphis... ... but taxes could make the diff. One gal who works here and lives in PA, her property taxes are twelve plus grand a year; so a rental would have to charge another thou right there. School taxes are another big nut. Between the two, it doubles her mortgage. By comparison, school and property taxes here in Dull-Aware are like four hundred combined for the year.

Just spitballing here.

BTW -- I am trying to get out your way this weekend to visit the cigar factory. Need to ride my Indian Scout, and that's a nice ride. Maybe we can herf at Westminster to Fredneck. Been wanting to try rye beer brewed in Fredneck anyways.

Well, Memphis and Harlingen, TX regularly flip-flop at the top of the list for lowest housing prices in the country, so there is that. I knew this going in, but wasn't expecting it to be quite as bad. Some of the difference is in how PA does building rights, I think. A guy was explaining that it's hard to change farmland to residential, so developers move slowly in collecting property and then get it all classified at once. This might explain why there are so many townhomes (and why they are developed for sale and not rent, too) around here. Maximizing space and soforth.

As it turns out, the house I'm renting will be larger than the one in Memphis, but it was also built in 1920 (and some of the structure predates that).

As to this weekend, I can probably do something on Saturday. I had something going on up in York that morning, but I forgot to finish the registration process. Oops. I guess I just will make a donation, instead. So, yeah, I could drop down to Westminster or wherever.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PM incoming
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    So, the landlord is leaving his directv dish.  And it looks like satellite is about the only internet option.  Any reviews of satinternet?  I know to watch my usage!  But much of that will go down if I get TV through the dish instead of Netflix/Amazon streaming.  And once my wife and I don't skype every night.