Home Non Cigar Related

purchasing today vs 30 years ago

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
Today, I had to order up a bunch of things.
Car parts and other stuff and it reminded me just how easy things have become to purchase today versus 30 years ago.
Today, you go on the internet, search, click on the stuff you want and buy it. A week later or less, it shows up at your door.

30 years ago, you went to the phone book, made 100 calls to places that would refer you to other places and after a couple hours, you might find some place that has what you are looking for.
And if that place was 100 miles away, you planned a day when you would drive up there and pick it up.

The other option was to go down to the grocery store, pick up a magazine (like Car Craft or Hot Rod) and go to the back of the magazine to the advertisers, call the number or send a request in the mail for a catalog.
Once you got the catalog, you spend hours making your list.
Then fill out the order form, mail it off, with a check or credit card number written down on the paper (if you had a credit card).
And usually in about 2 weeks, the stuff you ordered would show up.

Younger folks don't seem to realize how difficult it was in those days to get special parts or custom stuff.

And if it was a regional item, you had to go to things like car shows, gun shows and conventions to find out about custom, regional or new things.
In those days, obtaining things was an adventure.
You got out and saw life and experienced things and met new people face to face.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy being able to get things quickly, but I also miss the excuse to spend a day looking for something.

Just some thoughts. LOL!
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get off my lawn!!!!
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    JC Whitney still around?
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ExpendableYouth:
    Get off my lawn!!!!
    Damn kids anyway. ROFL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience:
    ExpendableYouth:
    Get off my lawn!!!!
    Damn kids anyway. ROFL!
    Lol
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The3Stogies:
    JC Whitney still around?
    They are, but the mostly do everything online now.
    Not even sure you can get a paper catalog anymore.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 16,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like 'today' better than 'yesterday' in this regard, that buying stuff is so much easier and the actual selection of whatever you want is a zillion times better. The only drawback is that it's so dangerous to my bank account.

I wasn't smoking cigars back then, but I imagine you'd have to stock your humidor by buying at a BnM. Now, it's a simple 'search/click/buy' and all of sudden we need a fourth cooler.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I order things online that I know I could stop on the way home from work and pick up. A couple clicks and it will be on my porch within 2 days. Not sure how you old guys survived.