Home General Discussion

In Memory...

jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
Back in May of 2012 just after my nephew, Chase Marta, was killed in Afghanistan, Bbass2 gifted me with a CAO America sampler. I thought it was extremely thoughtful and quite appropriate and originally planned to just keep it.

May 7 of 2013 came and went and I still just kept it. Last year, on the 7th, I decided it was more fitting that I smoke them. That's what cigars are for, right? So I smoked one in Chase's honor. I thought about him and reflected on what a fine young man he was and what a loss his parents suffered and still do to this day.

Today I'll smoke the second of those cigars and spend some time remembering Chase. Just thought I'd remind everyone about him. I miss him.....

And thanks again, Ben, for your very thoughtful gift. It meant a lot to me.

Comments

• curtpickcurtpick Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭
    A fitting tribute .
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 16,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're a good dude, Marty.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My condolences Marty, thank you and your family for the greatest sacrifice that can be given... we will never forget.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amen.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry about your nephew, keep his memory alive.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    photo 6DCA7DAC-3644-4EDB-816D-C94E3EF3A23C.jpg
  • SM0K3YSM0K3Y Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭
    Condolences bud, light one up and pour some out :(
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    Amen.

+ Me. I will smoke a cigar and have a drink in his name. We must never forget.
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Beautifully said Marty. You have a way with words. Thanks for reminding me to appreciate the freedom I so easily take for granted.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    My deepest thoughts and sympathy to you and your family. No matter how much time passes the loss of a loved one always stings a bit. Great tribute to have for a fallen soldier!
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Semper Fidelis, Marty
    Thanks, guys. Your sentiments are generous and heartwarming. And the love and warmth are some of the reasons we're such an enduring brotherhood. You're the greatest.... ??
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dark Roast:
    Beautifully said Marty. You have a way with words. Thanks for reminding me to appreciate the freedom I so easily take for granted.
    Amen.

I know most servicemen and women are pretty darned humble about their service and can get embarrassed when we thank them. Truth is, they pay for our freedom and oft times pay the ultimate sacrifice. Thank you for remembering him.

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    I haven't forgotten.
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember too :( it really is amazing how we have become a part of each other's lives.  For better and worse I suppose :)
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whenever I think on the lives spent for our freedom, I reflect on the poem 'In Flanders Fields'. I like to think the torch the author speaks of is freedom, and the dead have thrown it to us to carry and care for and keep burning brightly. 

They cared for it and ask us to do the same...

God bless you Marty, and your family. God bless your nephew.

The poem:

http://www.greatwar.co.uk/poems/john-mccrae-in-flanders-fields.htm

“There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
    Words fail me. You guys are something else.... ☺️