Home General Discussion

Two pennies

ejgormanejgorman Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
Because I've got two cents, I'm going to toss them out. I am relatively new here...been here just over a year. I've gotten to know a lot of you guys through our interactions here, PMs and on Vherf. While we (all of us) will never see eye to eye on politics, economics, foreign policy or even cigars, we've all come here united by one common interest. Ironically, it's not cigars. It's comraderie. Please try to keep in mind that you can easily take unintended meaning away from written words. If you're unsure how to take someone's comments, contact them via PM before commenting publicly. Some of the discussions of late have made me question my involvement here. I am tired of seeing people on this forum at odds with one another.
East Side 2015
KLMOW Badge 8/2014
Team Trident 2014

Comments

• Medic45Medic45 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭
    ejgorman:
    Because I've got two cents, I'm going to toss them out. I am relatively new here...been here just over a year. I've gotten to know a lot of you guys through our interactions here, PMs and on Vherf. While we (all of us) will never see eye to eye on politics, economics, foreign policy or even cigars, we've all come here united by one common interest. Ironically, it's not cigars. It's comraderie. Please try to keep in mind that you can easily take unintended meaning away from written words. If you're unsure how to take someone's comments, contact them via PM before commenting publicly. Some of the discussions of late have made me question my involvement here. I am tired of seeing people on this forum at odds with one another.
    I've not seen it as I'm just coming back part time but I HOLE HARDILY AGREE WITH YOU! That's what has always made this forum different then any other forum out there! I support you 100%. Being a redneck from Ky and talking to a friend from day NY or CA everyone speaks and even chats differently! Ya just gotta learn who is who and how they type something might not come across the way it was meant to! :)
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ejgorman:
    ROFL!

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • ejgormanejgorman Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
    0patience:
    ejgorman:
    ROFL!

In a nutshell, all I'm suggesting is that we all try not to read too much into the words we read on the screen and maybe reach out for clarification before publicly flaming (is that even current terminology?) a fellow B/SOTL. Written words are open to interpretation.
    East Side 2015
    KLMOW Badge 8/2014
    Team Trident 2014
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ejgorman:
    Please try to keep in mind that you can easily take unintended meaning away from written words.
    You'll have to forgive my dry humor.
    It was a play on your comment.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ejgorman:
    0patience:
    ejgorman:
    ROFL!

In a nutshell, all I'm suggesting is that we all try not to read too much into the words we read on the screen and maybe reach out for clarification before publicly flaming (is that even current terminology?) a fellow B/SOTL. Written words are open to interpretation.
    agreed Eric
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bigshizza:
    ejgorman:
    0patience:
    ejgorman:
    ROFL!

agreed Eric
    I agree too. I try not to take anything too seriously anywhere online. I have a dry sense of humor and that, and sarcasm, is hard to convey sometimes.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ejgorman:
    You would have to go back a ways, but I've made this point several times over the years. I enjoy cigars, politics, philosophy and religion, and open-minded discussions about all these things. I also took Logic in college, and recognizethe fallacious emotional responses that are the all too common death of these conversations around here. Americans seem to be forgetting that our greatest strength lies in our diversity. Our politicians realize that their power over us lies in keeping us divided, and "The Establishment", as we used to say, has taught us well that it is acceptable to treat anyone who disagrees with your point of view with contempt. The Conservatives are worse, these days, but both sides tend to fall back on the Ad Hominem attack, rather than to take on the real aspects of any conflicting views. This divisiveness seems to have spread to every aspect of our lives. Sadly, we have lost many greatmembers here because of it.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    I don't agree with this thread!!!!! I'm out of here!!!!
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    Sadly, we have lost many greatmembers here because of it.

Unfortunately, this is completely true. Sooooo many awesome BOTL are no longer here because of drama that has nothing to do with cigars or anything else of importance. It's tough for me to be here much with thread after thread of this kind of conversation, too. It seems to come and go like the tides but I doubt it will ever stop.
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I take your two pennies and suggest a pair of dime shift...
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 16,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Echambers:
    I take your two pennies and suggest a pair of dime shift...
    I see what you did there. :-)

I've only been here maybe half a year, but other than a slight dustup/misunderstanding last month, unless I'm blind, I don't see much nonsense. The tone on this forum is generally very good from my perspective.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis