Home General Discussion

cigar phases and attention spans

CrouseferCrousefer Posts: 445 ✭✭
So I was just wondering. Do you guys ever go through phases on how long and often you want to smoke a cigar. Lately no matter how much I enjoy a stick I find myself done with it after about 30 to 45 minutes. When I first started smoking I would smoke it down to the nub and then some be it corona or churchill. Time didn't matter be it 30 minutes or three hours. Life has been pretty fast paced lately, so I'm assuming that may be one of the reasons, but I have just been thinking about it a lot lately. It seems like I pass over some of my favorite sticks in opt to not "waste" them for a smaller stick. So how about you guys? Ever lit up one of your favorite sticks had a few hours to kill and partway or halfway through were just finished? Passed over ones you wanted etc?

Comments

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes and yes and yes to all of the above but, I have decided to ignore the wasted tobacco and be happy that I thoroughly enjoyed the cigar for the length of time available or desired length of time devoted to it, even if I don't make it halfway through.
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Yes, absolutely. I rarely smoke a cigar to end, mainly because I mostly smoke at lunch during the week--a very limited timeframe. On weekends, I rarely have more than an hour free so I rarely take a higher-end stogie out. That leaves me generally reaching for my smaller-sized, lower-priced stuff because I don't want to waste half of a a great cigar. I do think that the conditions under which you smoke have a huge effect on how much you enjoy the experience.
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Yes and yes and yes to all of the above but, I have decided to ignore the wasted tobacco and be happy that I thoroughly enjoyed the cigar for the length of time available or desired length of time devoted to it, even if I don't make it halfway through.
    Same here. The thing i look for is deep satisfaction. Sometimes it's to the nub sometimes it's 3/4. Although the cigars I take to the nub seem to be the same ones over and over.
  • Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    I smoke fast and about 1-3 a day pending on how busy I am.. On vacation I smoke 5 or more each day! So..
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been smoking occasionally and let the cigar go out and do not even care. Usually for me, it's when other stuff is going on or maybe I was just bored and picked up a cigar without really knowing what I wanted or even caring a lot. Sometimes it's good just to take a little break from it. I do always have a stash of smaller smokes; some cigarillos, lots of coronas. I tend to prefer those anyway.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • SM0K3YSM0K3Y Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭
    It just depends on the time I have available, and other factors, if I'm going to the bar I know I won't get to focus on th e stick and will therefore only pick ones I've already tried at least once and ones I won't mind shorting if need be.
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to say no. I only light one up when I have the time to do so. I take my one to two hour vacation almost once daily due to the fact that cigars are my time. I smoked over two packs of cigarets a day for almost a decade I quit and started smoking cigars. Basically I really want the nicotine so every cigar I smoke I enjoy until it is gone. I have learned that some cigars are done before I am but that is how it goes some times. Me being me I will not toss out a smoke I enjoy that is burning properly. Now a cigar that I feel tastes bad is a separate issue I will take these to at least half before I make my decision to pitch it.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I'm on the boat it might take me a day to smoke a toro or a Gordon ( I know yucky?? but I usually just bring cheap stories with me so I don't mind it) But when I'm home I try to pick a size to match my mood and time available because I hate to lay one down before its time is done and I tend to smoke pretty slow a robusto usually lasts anywhere from a hour and a half to 2 hours if it's a thick rg.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many times.

I get to the point sometimes where I lose interest. It isn't so much that I quit enjoying it, I just get impatient and want it to be finished.
    More because even when I think I have the time, I have a hundred other things to do and I get to thinking about it and then need to get back to things.

About the only time I don't get that way is when I'm dealing with machines or mathematics with some folks.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.