Options

Suggestions for the NEW forum.

Comments

• Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    curtpick said:
    bandyt09 said:
    SleevePlz said:
    2 We will at some point be making some members mods. 
    Oh boy, that is going to be interesting.....

A slippery slope for sure.................
    Uhhhh No.....
    I'm not opposed to it.  There are members here who I feel would be competent enough to handle this role.  Even something in a limited capacity to manage stickies, blocking some flagrant posts and things of that nature.  Not necessarily controlling accounts of users.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    TridentTrident Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭
    So Far I'm happy I don't have to write in code!  HUGE SCORE for the GOODGUYS!  Thanks CCOM
  • Options
    TridentTrident Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭
    curtpick said:
    bandyt09 said:
    SleevePlz said:

Uhhhh No.....
    I think the moderators could be a good idea to be used to pin posts as some already are.  the forum has always been good at policing itself.  It is a very slippery slope, but I think the right moderator will enhance the experience.  
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    curtpick said:
    bandyt09 said:
    SleevePlz said:

Uhhhh No.....
    I'm not opposed to it.  There are members here who I feel would be competent enough to handle this role.  Even something in a limited capacity to manage stickies, blocking some flagrant posts and things of that nature.  Not necessarily controlling accounts of users.
    I'm curious.
    Who?

The thing about it, is that for every member one person can think of that would be ok for moderating, there is probably a half dozen guys who will cringe.

As Daniel said, it's a slippery slope and rarely ever ends well. Mostly because no matter how hard a person tries, it's really hard to moderate any forum without making some folks angry.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    At this point I wont put any names out there as we are not at that point and I don't even want to start the discussion.  However I have been a part of many member moderated forums and have had good success.  Usually it is best to have a team of differing personalities to help keep things even, if its just 1 or 2 people then you get a lot of issues with the way things get handled.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    curtpickcurtpick Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭
    GiveTrident said:
    curtpick said:
    bandyt09 said:
    SleevePlz said:

Uhhhh No.....
    I think the moderators could be a good idea to be used to pin posts as some already are.  the forum has always been good at policing itself.  It is a very slippery slope, but I think the right moderator will enhance the experience.  
    Give someone an inch they'll take a mile. Whos to say whos to be a mod or not ?
    the forum polices itself just fine without mods. I do agree give the OP the ability to edit his own post, but that should be as far as it goes in my opinion . Ive seen far to many mods get to feeling all powerful, sides are taken, and soon enough the forum is a war zone and soon after everyone bails. Just an opinion, but again,  this is more than a slippery slope, its a dowhill plunge.
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
  • Options
    variant2variant2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    0patience said:
    curtpick said:
    bandyt09 said:
    SleevePlz said:

Uhhhh No.....
    I'm curious.
    Who?

The thing about it, is that for every member one person can think of that would be ok for moderating, there is probably a half dozen guys who will cringe.

As Daniel said, it's a slippery slope and rarely ever ends well. Mostly because no matter how hard a person tries, it's really hard to moderate any forum without making some folks angry.
    If member/mods stick to menial tasks such as stickies, dupe deletions, etc., then that would be fine. For the controversial shit, there's always the flag button.

Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I have a question.
    I'm pretty sure this is a Vanilla board.

Why does it seem so stripped down?

And if it is Vanilla, I would hope you aren't paying a monthly fee.  
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    0patience said:
    I have a question.
    I'm pretty sure this is a Vanilla board.

Why does it seem so stripped down?

And if it is Vanilla, I would hope you aren't paying a monthly fee.  
    I thought the same thing.  The only thing that makes sense to me was start out basic to get everything here and make sure you get all the content imported properly and then start adding things.  In my experience I would do the same thing when rolling out a forum or website.  Start basic to get it up and running and the slowly add the features that are needed/requested to avoid any major down time or breaking of things.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• Options
    It would have been easier to get the forum up and running in another directory and tested out, then go live with it.
    They changed the forum location anyways, so it would have made no difference.
    There would have been no down time.

If they'd have been paying attention, they'd have known the features. Clone the features from the old forum, like being able to see new first, signatures and that sort of thing.
    Then add those features that had been discussed on the old forum several times.

If they were using the same directory as the old forum, then maybe I could see it. But this forum is even on a new subdomain. So they could have tested it for a month and no one would have even known until they went live with the link.

And if they did that, they could have imported the data up to a certain point, tested it out and then only had to add the last few days of data to bring it up to date. Not that hard. 

But then again, I could be wrong.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    curtpick said:
    GiveTrident said:
    curtpick said:
    bandyt09 said:
    SleevePlz said:

Uhhhh No.....
    the forum polices itself just fine without mods. I do agree give the OP the ability to edit his own post, but that should be as far as it goes in my opinion . Ive seen far to many mods get to feeling all powerful, sides are taken, and soon enough the forum is a war zone and soon after everyone bails. Just an opinion, but again,  this is more than a slippery slope, its a dowhill plunge.

Yeah no more writing code for photos.  Also you don't have to upload them to photobucket anymore or sites like that and link them.  You can upload to the site directly from your computer/phone (once they fix the mobile side).  It also re-sizes for you to fit the screen!

Now that's cool, I hated having to go thru PB to post a pic.

• Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do we:
    1. delete draft messages
    2. delete inbox messages

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    1. you should be able to edit the OP. 2 We will at some point be making some members mods. 3. I will have IT look in to that. 4. We as mods do have a mute button. 5 I will have IT check that out also.

Hey, I had to register a brand new forum handle just to post that I was having a problem.  I can't sign into the forum with my original handle (y2pascoe).  Can someone fix that?
  • Options
    1. you should be able to edit the OP. 2 We will at some point be making some members mods. 3. I will have IT look in to that. 4. We as mods do have a mute button. 5 I will have IT check that out also.

Hey, I had to register a brand new forum handle just to post that I was having a problem.  I can't sign into the forum with my original handle (y2pascoe).  Can someone fix that?
    Message Krebsie, he's the admin.

Link to profile:
     http://forum.cigar.com/profile/4050/krebsie

Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer
  • Options
    krebsiekrebsie Moderator Posts: 86 admin

I just your account to reset your password.  Try it now.
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv said:
    How do we:

1. delete inbox messages
    If you open an inbox discussion/thread/whatever they're calling it now, it'll take you to the end of the discussion.  But at the top right is a read box to Delete.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    SM0K3YSM0K3Y Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭
    curtpick said:
    GiveTrident said:
    curtpick said:
    bandyt09 said:
    SleevePlz said:

Uhhhh No.....
    +1 for Curt, as an I.T. guy I've seen many,many forums and communities totally ruined by letting users (we all suck) MOD the forum 100% bad idea, sides yall dont want my crazy butt in charge i'll block EVERYONE ;p "Welcome To SMOK3Ys CCOM forum....IBLOCKUNOW" see? not good ;) 
  • Options

peter4jc said:
    jgibv said:
    How do we:

1. delete inbox messages
    If you open an inbox discussion/thread/whatever they're calling it now, it'll take you to the end of the discussion.  But at the top right is a read box to Delete.
    Thanks!  Dang but it seems to have brought back all of my old messages....going to be a pain-in-the-arse to go through and delete them all!

Wish there was a way to select multiple messages and delete them all at once like the old forum, opening every single one and clicking the delete button will take me a week. 

• Options
    Working on phone now! 
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• Options
    Unless I just haven't found it, I'd also like to see a "Mark All Forums Read" button.

• Options
    I've noticed various updates we asked for have already been implemented. Thanks for all the hard work the CCom techs are putting into to this for us. 

UPDATES IMPLEMENTED: (THANKS!)
    1. More field boxes added in our profiles including one for cigars we like.
    2. Signatures now work.
    3. Mobile access is way better now (tested on my iPhone).

UPDATES NEEDED:
    1. Ability to edit our posts with no time restriction. We currently only have 1 hour to edit our posts and it'll help us out quite a bit to be able to update certain pages for trades, passes, wars, how tos, etc.,

UPDATES THAT WOULD BE NICE:
    1. Allow the forum window to expand to a higher resolution so that we don't have the narrow thread windows.
    2. An icon link that will take us to the last post of a thread.

Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please dump the time limit for edits.
    At least on the first post.
    If I want to create a useful list or, 
    edit the first post of a pass for timely updates,
    I can't do it now like I could on the old forum. 
  • Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get rid of post counts. No I am not kidding.

#flameon
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Make pm's easier to get to...
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    bandyt09 said:
    Get rid of post counts. No I am not kidding.

#flameon
    We're all in it for the badges, likes, and lol's now, so we can lose the post count. :wink: 
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Put the name option back.
    It's kind of nice to know a person's first name.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    0patience said:
    Put the name option back.
    It's kind of nice to know a person's first name.

And speaking of names, even though it's been said before, it'd be nice to see the name of the member who started the thread.  We see who posted last, but to see who started the thread means back-tracking, and clicking this and that, and ... oh, my, that's just too much work.  <wink>
  • Options
    peter4jc said:
    Unless I just haven't found it, I'd also like to see a "Mark All Forums Read" button.

Try clicking the cog-wheel icon in the top right corner.....
    It will give you a drop down menu with options to "Mark All Viewed". 

That should do it.....

• Options
    jgibv said:
    peter4jc said:

Try clicking the cog-wheel icon in the top right corner.....
    It will give you a drop down menu with options to "Mark All Viewed". 

That should do it.....
    Thank you sir!
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    curtpick said:
    GiveTrident said:
    curtpick said:
    bandyt09 said:
    SleevePlz said:

Uhhhh No.....

I have seen real jerks appointed as mods and they operated on a purely selfish and political basis.