Home Non Cigar Related

RIP BB King

jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2015 in Non Cigar Related
What a legend, one of the best blues guitarists ever. 
His songs are what first got me interested in the blues years ago. 

May this impressive man's spirit live on through the wonderful music he shared with the world.

CLICK to Listen:
https://youtu.be/12MKmxnH2yY

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

Comments

• EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is my BB King story: I went to see him play at this small dinner club type place when I was 21 or 22. We had seats pretty close to the stage but there was this big support beam right in front of the table that blocked half the stage so we could actually on see a sliver of BB King.  At one point he took a break and when he was walking back to the stage he stopped at my table and asked if he could join us.  Of course I said yes so he sat down and said he could tell from the stage that we had a bad view and he wanted to apologize.  We chatted for a few minutes as everyone around us sta with their jaws wide open. In the end he asked what he could play for us so I requested The Thrill is Gone.  
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn Eric that is one hell of a great story.  Even though I am a youngen I still love BB and am very sad to see him pass.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heard someone comment the other day about how BB King made so many people happy singing the blues....how crazy is that!!
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sad to hear.  What a legend!  Never saw him play, but it is neat to hear stories like that.  Sounds like a great guy.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    B.B. King Live at Cook County Jail--arguably the best live blues album. Ever better than Live at the Regal. RIP. 
  • EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heard about this last night,  very sad to hear of his passing.
  • ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That sucks, I can't believe he's gone.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heard someone comment the other day about how BB King made so many people happy singing the blues....how crazy is that!!
    Amen.

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    raisindot said:
    B.B. King Live at Cook County Jail--arguably the best live blues album. Ever better than Live at the Regal. RIP. 
    the regal is my favorite.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Poetry is how you convey most meaning with fewest words. BB King was a poet with his licks. A pluck here, vibrato there, you filled in the rest. 

Now the thrill is gone.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16 said:
    raisindot said:
    Both are fantastic albums.B.B. always sounded his best live. 
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BB and Albert King are now somewhere playing a duet. Long Live the Kings
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    raisindot said:
    kuzi16 said:
    raisindot said:
    Both are fantastic albums.B.B. always sounded his best live. 
    i agree both are fantastic. hard to really pick a favorite when all his stuff is spot on brilliant.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    A blue day for the blues, RIP.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Echambers said:
    Here is my BB King story: I went to see him play at this small dinner club type place when I was 21 or 22. We had seats pretty close to the stage but there was this big support beam right in front of the table that blocked half the stage so we could actually on see a sliver of BB King.  At one point he took a break and when he was walking back to the stage he stopped at my table and asked if he could join us.  Of course I said yes so he sat down and said he could tell from the stage that we had a bad view and he wanted to apologize.  We chatted for a few minutes as everyone around us sta with their jaws wide open. In the end he asked what he could play for us so I requested The Thrill is Gone.  
    How awesome is that!
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A sad time in music indeed! My favorite I think is "When love comes to town"
  • ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I listened to two of his albums last night while enjoying some cigars. He will definetely be missed.
  • EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was a nice time last night, Blues and cigars go very well together. 
  • SM0K3YSM0K3Y Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭
    This makes me very guitar sadface
  • Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    :/ The Blues just got a little more blue
    The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n!