Home General Discussion
Options

Ashton suggestions?

youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
I'm heading out to an Ashton event tomorrow night at a small B&M downtown. Any suggestions? 

I might have my cousin with me who is interested in trying cigars. Is the Ashton main line white label a good choice if he chooses to light up? 

Thanks in advance for any reccomendations. They have a buy 3 get 1 and a buy 5 get 2 special on Ashtons. Seems like I'll prob end up with one of those.

Beautiful night tonight :smiley: Have a good weekend friends.
ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico

Comments

• Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ashton vsg and the symmetry are both really good.  I think it's the heritage that is also a solid smoke. 
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heritage pure sol 
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Options
    ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't go wrong with the ESG, or VSG.
  • Options
    edelrionycedelrionyc Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    Virgin Sun Grown is my favorite....I've been wanting to try the Estate Sun Grown but haven't gotten my hands on one
  • Options
    SecretSquirrelSecretSquirrel Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    ive had the vsg, esg and symmetry. without looking at the price tags, I honestly like the virgin sun grown the best. however, it also happens to be the cheapest
  • Options
    Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Onestrangeone sent me a VSG it was incredible. They're strong and peppery  <3
  • Options
    matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VSG all the way!!!

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the heritage...for the symmetry I was very underwhelmed and for .25 more I could get a opus. The vsg is a good smoke and so is the esg but the price tag can hurt you a bit.
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Aged Maduro is a great smoke as well

• Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭

The Aged Maduro is a great smoke as well

+1
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Ashton is a great line of cigars. ESG, in my opinion, is not worth the price tag. The rest of the line is solid. I would offer your cousin the Aged Maduro to try if he isn't a cigar smoker. Smooth, somewhat sweet maduro and not too overpowering.
  • Options
    Thanks for the recommendations fellas, I feel like I had a really good sense of what to check out. 

I told my cousin he could have any stick he wanted and he picked up the aged maduro corona and said he liked the size and color. 

We had a great time and really enjoyed those maddies -- very smooth smoke. Some local whiskey was sampled and I drank something called "Fat Tire". Kind of a weak beer, but paired decently. Not nearly as well as that whiskey though. Holy crap. Good stuff but cray expensive.

After the event, I asked my cuz what he thought. He said it was cool, but it was an "older scene". I lol'd. Then I told him the OG's know the secrets and he lol'd. 
    It was a good time, and Ashton / Old Town Tobacco get my stamp of approval.

1st pic is my cuz and me.

2nd pic is Sgt. Doakes from Showtime's "Dexter."
  • Options
    jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the recommendations fellas, I feel like I had a really good sense of what to check out. 

I told my cousin he could have any stick he wanted and he picked up the aged maduro corona and said he liked the size and color. 

We had a great time and really enjoyed those maddies -- very smooth smoke. Some local whiskey was sampled and I drank something called "Fat Tire". Kind of a weak beer, but paired decently. Not nearly as well as that whiskey though. Holy crap. Good stuff but cray expensive.

After the event, I asked my cuz what he thought. He said it was cool, but it was an "older scene". I lol'd. Then I told him the OG's know the secrets and he lol'd. 
    It was a good time, and Ashton / Old Town Tobacco get my stamp of approval.

1st pic is my cuz and me.

Very cool and going to an Event is always a good time. Glad you both enjoyed yourselves and looks like you got some great suggestions too.

2nd pic is Sgt. Doakes from Showtime's "Dexter."

Just picturing him saying "Surprise Mother **** er" whenever someone walked in.
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• Options
    reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like you guys had a great time!
  • Options
    ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That looks like it was fun, I wish my lounge would do an Ashton event.
  • Options
    EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a fun time. I've never really liked Fat Tire myself.
  • Options

looks like the ashton event was a lot of fun. i'd like to go to one some time

• Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love Doakes!! Great character in Dexter loved him... Btw VSG Enchantment FTW!!!
  • Options
    pennpenn Posts: 193 ✭✭✭

That looks like a lot of fun!  There is no B&M located in my area - only a Tinderbox in the mall with a crappy selection.

Maybe - It's time for one to open. 

• Options
    Bigshizza said:
    I love Doakes!! Great character in Dexter loved him... Btw VSG Enchantment FTW!!!

I just got a box of sorcerers myself <3
  • Options
    matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Bigshizza said:
    My first Ashton was a VSG Enchantment from none other than you Mr. Shizz!

Glad you and your cuz had a good time Ryan!!!

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• Options
    I'm so glad I went! I'm heading to a San Lotano event at another b&m on Saturday. I think I'm gonna slide my cousin a Connecticut oval if he decides he wants to go too.

It's a lot of fun sharing the little details about smoking with someone close to you. I think he's into it, I just don't think I've hooked him yet. When he finds that one smoke that really does it for him (It was Hemmingway for me) , I think he'll abandon the dip and cigarettes.

I'm trying so hard not to be a know-it-all when he asks questions, but it's hard not to overexplain when you are passionate about the subject matter :wink: 
  • Options
    I'm so glad I went! I'm heading to a San Lotano event at another b&m on Saturday. I think I'm gonna slide my cousin a Connecticut oval if he decides he wants to go too.

It's a lot of fun sharing the little details about smoking with someone close to you. I think he's into it, I just don't think I've hooked him yet. When he finds that one smoke that really does it for him (It was Hemmingway for me) , I think he'll abandon the dip and cigarettes.

I'm trying so hard not to be a know-it-all when he asks questions, but it's hard not to overexplain when you are passionate about the subject matter :wink: 

or just end up dipping, smoking cigarettes, AND enjoying cigars like me :/
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

or just end up dipping, smoking cigarettes, AND enjoying cigars like me :/

Nope, the cigs had to go when I got into cigars, I'm cheap and if I'm going to spend this much on a smoke I want to be able to taste as much of it as possible