Home Ratings & Reviews

Anyone tried La Perla Habana 1515?

2»

Comments

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dammit @Bob_Luken, don't you have some cigars to rotate
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to say thanks for the kind words, guys.

Looking at what @NoOne had to say, I have to wonder if he read any of my report, or at least more than just a glance.  He may have been reacting to jsblnchrd's original post.

Either way, I told to the best of my ability my experience with 10 cigars, ordered and shipped in July.  For all we know, they spent a couple days at 145F in the top of a UPS trailer, which could have permanently altered them.  @0patience seemed to have a similar experience though, so...

I had high hopes for the cigar.  The catalog advertises notes of "vanilla", and after having the White Pearl, I know La Perla knows vanilla.  I just didn't get anything like it.  I have to wonder, as I believe I mentioned, how they'd be after a year or so.  I know some cigars get much better, the Camacho Triple Maduro comes to mind.

So, other than the over-the-top "Wrongwrongwrong" stuff, I'm happy someone had a good experience.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    @Amos_Umwhat, I thought your original and "give 'em some time" reviews were thoughtful, detailed and very useful. No need for you to "defend" what you said. i would trust your judgement far more than anyone who just said "Wrongwrongwrong." I think that one's reaction to a particular cigar is far more subjective than to just about other kind of consumable, just because people react differently to flavor profiles. For example, I can't get into mild cigars at all, and therefore tend not to like any I try. Others do prefer mild cigars and shy away from medium or strong cigars. That's what's so great about this site: You can get different opinions, sometimes contradictory, and then figure out who you're most likely to agree with by looking at their preferred brands. A much better way to assess ratings than to try the opinions of three guys working at cigar magazine who give the highest ratings to the same 4-5 brands issue after issue after issues. 
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    @Amos_Umwhat I really don't think you were far off but I have never tried one myself. The guy says he only smoke med-high end cigars yet his pic has him very proud of the perdomo  habano. He says he doesn't smoke and bundled cigars...yet I have smoked some bundled cigars that will kick that  perdomos ass! A review is your thoughts not his and you felt the way you did. Personally I would've just sent many away to cfw and call it a day but you hung in there! More power to you! Plus the guy hasn't posted anything after that so eh what do any of us know
    Money can't buy taste
    So, CCOM sent one of these out a couple months back with the COTM package.  Having done the above review, I was curious.  I smoked it last night and this one was decidedly better than the batch I reviewed in 2015.  That strong bitterness was toned down was the main improvement.  I still didn't find it to be a particularly nuanced cigar, but the one dimension it existed in was much more pleasant.  
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Amos_Umwhat Would you say it's now box worthy? :D
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
    BKDog said:
    @Amos_Umwhat Would you say it's now box worthy? :D
    Not for me, no.  More like, try a single, maybe a 5er and see if it's for you.  I won't be seeking them out, but this one was much better than the others.  Who knows why.  Different batch?  Wasn't cooked in the UPS truck?  Age?  I dunno. 

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You think it was ammonia? That they rolled them a little too fresh. Perhaps they rushed the production. But somehow they had a sick period, and many of these cigars were again "ammonia activated" through hot transit. I know that's a wild guess but, I'm guessing anyway. 

Age matters. Storage conditions matter. Smoking conditions matter. So many things will make a difference. 

I smoked a cigar from a recent bomb a few days ago. It was nice. A day later I dug out the same size cigar from my stash. It was also nice. I had bought a box of a few years ago. The point is that while both were enjoyable, The draw was way different, the flavors were way different. I would have sworn they were not the same cigar. 
    I don't remember an overt ammonia taste, I would have mentioned it, I think.  Still, rolled out too early definitely could have been part of the problem.  Also, I'd read the promo write-ups, "the blend is fantastic" etc., and was expecting complexity, nuance, "notes of vanilla" and such.  Wasn't there.  

The one last night didn't have all that either, was mostly just oak and brown bread flavors.  Wasn't bad, like the first batch, but I can find cigars I personally like better for the same or better price.  Someone else might feel the opposite.