Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Hambuger eaters....its your fault.

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

UN: Don't Eat Hamburgers, They Hurt The Environment

Published June 5, 2015

AP Graphics

By MICHAEL BASTASCH, The Daily Caller

The head of the United Nations Environmental Program wants people to know about things they can do every day to help push the international body’s environmental agenda.

So what’s one way you can do your part for the environment? Why, not eating hamburgers, of course.

Excuse me I have some sirloin patty's on the grill.

Comments

• Options
    Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    WTF?
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    This has been a known fact for a while but always under the radar...really IMO it has to do more with corporations like McDonald's that buys foreign land ie. Rainforest areas plows them down to raise cattle ruins the ground and then goes and destroys more and more. That too me is the biggest issue minus all the other issues. It kills me you can get a burger for $1 but a salad cost $8 good old subsidies 
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Not just McD's but the idea of how much environmental cost it takes to raise beef vs. alternative nutrient sources.  Far more resources go into livestock than produce.

But I still love a good burger.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    Martel said:
    Not just McD's but the idea of how much environmental cost it takes to raise beef vs. alternative nutrient sources.  Far more resources go into livestock than produce.

But I still love a good burger.
    That is the irony of it. We are meat eaters as is most of the world. Have a buddy in Argentina, ex-patriot American. We got into a discussion about the great steak restaurants in Argentina and the beef shipped to fast food places in his country, which is a lower quality then what they would eat. No big deal, the cattle are raised for hamburger and not steaks.

He is retired and lives in a beautiful "stucco" type house on about 20 acres. He is probably the happiest man I know.

He does a lot of traveling in country and loves the people. Has never been made unwelcome, he speaks the language like a native. He did pass on that he has never seen any land cleared for beef production but he has never really talked about it with the local population. It isn't uncommon for him to wake up to find cattle eating his sparse lawn and no one makes a big deal out of it, except his dog Walker. But Walker is always wagging his tail and does his best to get the cattle to play with him. He has seen Walker and some kind of really big rodent sleeping together.

I digress.

When we (the US) have suggested that South American countries try and curtail the clear cutting that is going on we are always told that we do it and that is their excuse to keep doing it. But, I am thinking we did that a long time ago and maybe we have learned from our mistakes. Even now we replant more then we cut. I don't know what the answer is, because we have to eat and the world needs housing.

PS The idiot that clear cut the land next to us must be having a fit. After one year it is so dense with new growth he will have to do it again.
  • Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    :) Jim Gaffigan always makes me laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV4Jl0Q-beE

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch