Home Non Cigar Related

Garden pests annd helpers

First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well we got rabbits eating our corn seedlings,raccoons digging up the bonemeal we set our tomatoes with, and deer nipping off our swiss chard. I set a temporary fence around the corn, and plastic over our chard. I guess the raccoons will  just loose interest in a while. On the positive side chipmunks have been packing their cheeks with corn from one of our feeders and burying it all over our garden. We got corn coming up everywhere. If I could only get them to plant the good corn. Wild turkeys have been in the garden eating bugs and so far haven't torn anything up yet.   

Comments

• jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buddy of ours lives in Weakly county and grows Black Diamond watermelons every year. He surrounds the watermelon patch with tall seed bearing plants for the deer. He also sprinkles red pepper around the watermelon patch. There is also a fence with the occasional plastic owl on the posts. Seems to work pretty good.
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have also heard of hair trimmings placed around the perimeter as being helpful. 

Another method is to go and take a few leaks on the perimeter outside in the dark. The smell of human pee will help keep the critters at bay. 

Hope these help?

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch