Home Non Cigar Related
Options

The strongest Tobacco leaf on the market.

RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

I am just curious as to which particular leaf is the strongest on todays market.

Several types that I have grown were strong with the ligero leaf themselves stronger still but what type of plant is reputed to be the strongest?

I ask simply because I am planning to grow a late crop and wish to include such in my garden and wish to grow the strongest leaf on the market for the nicotine content alone. Both for cigars and insect control measures. The strongest I have found so far is Florida Sumatra ligero.

Thanks, Rodney.

Comments

• Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
      I think it's Nicotina Rustica. NR is one of the original Aztec tobaccos. Supposed to be many times stronger than commercially grown tobacco. I have grown it three times now just for ceremonial use. Got a dozen plants in the garden. It is a nightshade like tomatoes and you have to stake it and pull the sucker branches and dead head it.. The leaves are rather small but I harvest everything including the flowers. 
  • Options

Tried those two years ago with negative results. Perhaps I need to revisit them again to see if was my error or a flawed batch of seeds. Thanks for bringing them back to my attention.

Rodney.

• Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RBeckom said:

Tried those two years ago with negative results. Perhaps I need to revisit them again to see if was my error or a flawed batch of seeds. Thanks for bringing them back to my attention.

Rodney. 

You may want to try a little bone meal when you transplant and some kelp meal to side dress the little guys when they are growing. I also use fish emulsion every couple of weeks. Good luck

• Options

I am not familiar of kelp meal. What are the benefits  to the soil from this product?

Thank you in advance,

Rodney.

• Options
    edited January 2016

I have seeds crossed between a Havana/Florida Sumatra hybrid and a Pennsylvanian Red.

I am hoping the resulting leaf will be strong like the hybrid and still entertain a mellowness from the Red. If all goes well this season, which I somewhat nervously anticipate, I expect that I will have a tobacco that will be well pleasing to the palate and still maintain good aromatic qualities.