Home General Discussion

Coolerdor question

Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
what are you using for RH in yours? I have a 30 quart cooler I set up one that has an extra large and large heartfelt industries tubes inside. The RH is stuck at 64 on both hygrometers inside. I am using cigar boxes to store the cigars inside. Should the boxes be left open or is closed fine? I just ordered an electric humidifier to raise the RH. 
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

Comments

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    This rookie would say that if your hygrometer is accurate, there's nothing wrong with 64%.  I don't think it matters much if the boxes are open or closed, as long as you have the extra time to let a closed box adjust to the humidity, since it'll take a bit longer.

I use some generic 70% beads for fall/winter/spring, but for the summer I'm switching to larger quantities of kitty litter.  The 47qt. Iris storage boxes I use are weathertight, but not airtight, so they'll still fluctuate with changes in ambient humidity.  So I'm hoping that the KL will keep some of the higher summertime humidity in check.

And because I have the room, I've made these from 1qt. deli containers and some salvaged window screening, and they hold a lb. of beads;

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    64 rh is fine for me. Mine hold steady at 65, so that wouldn't concern me. As far as the boxes, I usually keep the cabinet style (slide lid) boxes cracked open a bit but I don't worry about the flat dress boxes. Humidity will creep into those.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Just FYI you need to get the box up to the wanted rh before you put sticks in it and put it in the cooler. But yeah I like my stuff at 62-65 
    Money can't buy taste
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
     I use KL in my coolers, about 3 - 4 lbs in the 120 qt I think and maybe 2 lbs for the 60 qt. They hold pretty steady at 67 - 68 rh when they drop to 65 I'll give one of the tubs a couple of spritzes and it's right back where I want it. I usually only have to do this  maybe twice a year. I keep boxes in mine with the lid's on and closed.   
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks fellas
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter