Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Free Windows 10

2»

Comments

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just re-read this entire thread looking for some definitive opinion from the masses, so to speak, but all I come away with is that some of you like Win 10 and some don't. 

So what did I learn?  Nada. A big, fat zilch. 

I do do know one thing - I don't like the notion of having to pay a yearly subscription fee. I trust Microsuck just about as far as I can throw them and wouldn't be surprised by continually increasing fees - to the point of "pay up or do without"

comments??
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They have gone to the subscription for office and I actuallly purchased office for the first time.  For the yearly fee you will always be getting the newest version instead of hey buy office 2013 and use it for the next 5 years until you can buy a new version.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    Any new opinions on Win 10 yet??  Anybody having good/bad results with Win 10??

there are still those of us who haven't switched to Win 10 who'd really like to hear some definitive input to help us decide whether to take a deep breath and try it. 

Anyone??   :D
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just use it for daily use, but I've liked it a helluva lot more than vista or 7
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I downloaded it a few weeks ago. Haven't had any problems, except that I had to download a new driver for my printer. Really haven't noticed a big difference between 10 and 8.
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    ....... Really haven't noticed a big difference between 10 and 8.
    I'm still running 7 but thanks for the input. Particularly about the printer driver. I'm using a wireless printer and I'm not sure of all the technical details of it - better ask my computer guru about this. I don't wanna risk **** it up - I'd be crippled without my printer. 

Thanks again, Doug...  B)
  • Options
    NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jlmarta you would have to update drivers. I'd personally only update a windows 8 pc. Anything 7 or before I'd leave alone as the hardware would be taxed by the processing.
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • Options
    Nolagizmo said:
    @jlmarta you would have to update drivers. I'd personally only update a windows 8 pc. Anything 7 or before I'd leave alone as the hardware would be taxed by the processing.
    Okay. Duly noted. Thanks muchly, my friend....  B)
  • Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Warning! Troll post ahead!!

Winderz?
    TBNT. 

A tiny poem shall illustrate the need for you to migrate from the flaccid weenus OS. 

WINDERS?
    Linus T
    Would disagree 
    With such rec-commend-ation
    Set Winderz down
    Release that frown 
    Embrace the Linux Nation

No love lost on Microsoft for me.

Is it still a BSOD factory? I hope it has improved. Many moons, long ago, I spent frustrating hours trying to fix broken Microsoft stuff. 

“There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:
    I just re-read this entire thread looking for some definitive opinion from the masses, so to speak, but all I come away with is that some of you like Win 10 and some don't. 

So what did I learn?  Nada. A big, fat zilch. 

I do do know one thing - I don't like the notion of having to pay a yearly subscription fee. I trust Microsuck just about as far as I can throw them and wouldn't be surprised by continually increasing fees - to the point of "pay up or do without"

comments??
    There's to be a fee?  Yearly?  That sucks.  I'm where you are in the process, hanging back.  Hell, I just got 8.1 a year or two ago, then presto comes 10, and when I look at the details, seems a lot like opening the gate to some kind of Trojan Horse.  The real one, not the virus. 
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    jarubla said:
    Warning! Troll post ahead!!

Winderz?
    TBNT. 

A tiny poem shall illustrate the need for you to migrate from the flaccid weenus OS. 

WINDERS?
    Linus T
    Would disagree 
    With such rec-commend-ation
    Set Winderz down
    Release that frown 
    Embrace the Linux Nation

No love lost on Microsoft for me.

Is it still a BSOD factory? I hope it has improved. Many moons, long ago, I spent frustrating hours trying to fix broken Microsoft stuff. 

Yeah. I hear ya. And in the recent past I've gone so far as to download Linux only to let it sit there in the 'downloads' file until I just couldn't bring myself to do it. IIRC, it was the Ubuntu iteration. 

But ya have to remember, I'm an oldfart who's only computer-literate enough to get myself into trouble so I deleted it and chickened-out. I've got other aspects of life (bucket list?) that I'd prefer to spend my time on rather than re-learning an OS. 

I keep hoping (against hope?) that I'll hear enough convincing positive feedback on Win 10 to sway me into going for it. It is/would be the easy way out for me. I just don't want to get stuck with an OS that I'll hate. I dodged the bullet with Vista...... (Yay, me)   B)
  • Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jlmartayou are fine. 

To to be completely honest/fair/less of a cringeworthy troll, my colleagues who have Lenovo machines think 10 is the best they've seen in a great while from Microsoft. 

Wow, can't believe I am typing that, but there ya go, lol.

Feeling my mortality today, I suppose! Stems in cigars, David Bowie dead, and most likely racist combover dude vs what does it matter chick as front runners in the POTUS election. Ay yi yi!
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    jarubla said:

......Feeling my mortality today, I suppose! Stems in cigars, David Bowie dead, and most likely racist combover dude vs what does it matter chick as front runners in the POTUS election. Ay yi yi!
    Thanks for the input, @jarubla. It's appreciated. 

As as for the combover dude vs the lying broad I'll simply say this - the Donald can always find a better barber or stylist but Billary will always have to live with Benghazi. And I simply can't tolerate a liar....  'Nuff said...  B)