Home Non Cigar Related

Mr Luken made me think of .....

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2015 in Non Cigar Related
.....a question that he might have asked.

How many Sirs, Mr(s), Mams, Ms(s) and please, or thank yous have you heard from the young people of today?

Comments

• jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very good question

gonna have to think about this one
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • variant2variant2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae said:

How many Sirs, Mr(s), Mams, Ms(s) and please, or thank yous have you heard from the young people of today?
    Not as many Yos, Heys, sup bitch, PuhLeez!, or fuck yous.
    Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Now that you mention it I hear thank you lots more than please.
  • pennpenn Posts: 193 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    It is definitely a rarity.  I still use sir or ma'am even with people younger than me.  What's more sad is I had to, in not such nice language, inform a group of young people at the office not to mistake my show of basic respect and kindness as a sign of weakness. 
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get more "respect your elders" sirs these days. There's still a core element that show that type of courtesy.
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My maternal grandmother was a southern lady. She taught me all that at a young age. I still show that courtesy, and feel it is very basic respect, due everyone. 

I had a conversation with my better half about this thread. She reminded me that my eldest follows this rule; gotta work on the younger ones to get them to adhere to it too (they're still a bit on the young side).

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I make damn sure my kids know to say it. I'm old school in parenting. LOL

its weird now to talk to their teachers when I am now much older than they are. They insist on being called by their first name but I resort back to being a kid whenever I'm talking to a teacher. LOL. A very odd dynamic for me. 
    How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Up here in the north (or at least here in flinty suburban New England), most of the kids still say "Thank you" and many say "please." Professionals like doctors and lawyers and contractors still use "Mr." and "Mrs." when talking to me, but most of my sons' friends don't call "Mr." I don't think it's lack of respect; I think they just don't quite know what to call me, since they rarely call me by my first name (unless I know them well). I never heard "Sir" used by anyone other than military personnel and cops.

That's one thing I've always admired about social interactions in the South when I've traveled there. Most young people do call older men "sir"  and "Mr.: and women "ma'am," regardless of the situation and regardless of whether each party knows the other or not.  It can be very disarming at first since we up in the northeast are well known for being rude and lacking social graces. But it really is a very wonderful tradition of respectfulness that I wish would make a comeback up here. 

• YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since moving from New York State to North Carolina, I hear it all the time from everyone, even young people.  It's much more common here among all ages.

I find myself doing it, regardless of the age of the other person.
  • SM0K3YSM0K3Y Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭
    jd50ae said:

Come on down to texas, evertime they say it to me i wanna punch em
    I AINT OLD DANGIT!!!! ;p
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SM0K3Y said:
    jd50ae said:

I AINT OLD DANGIT!!!! ;p

@smok3y denial is the first sign, acceptance is the answer, Good day, Sir! 
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    SM0K3Y said:
    jd50ae said:

I AINT OLD DANGIT!!!! ;p
    Not old my friend, mature maybe.  No, that ain't it.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always use sir, ma'am, Mr., Ms., or Dr, please and thank you.  It gets awkward with professional degrees, as some professors prefer first names, others prefer Dr.  I am very much in the habit that it's always Dr.  Even my old teachers and bosses whom I'm now more of a colleague   than subordinate.   
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hel- I'm 68 and still call any mature woman (maybe 35 on up) Mam. Here in the south it's a mark of respect.
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    I was brought up to say please and thank you. I always hold a door open for an incoming or exiting individual whether female or male. And when I was a kid i was expected to say "may I please be excused from the table" after dinner. Alas these  forms of manners have gone by the wayside. I try to teach my kids to be respectable of all but they are impressed upon by their friends and I cannot be everywhere they are. I just hope they realize we all deserve a level of respect for each other and that is what keeps all happy and content.   
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Hel- I'm 68 and still call any mature woman (maybe 35 on up) Mam. Here in the south it's a mark of respect.
    Little secret learned the hard way: Calling a "mature" woman "Ma'am" may be a sign of respect, but calling these women "Miss" totally makes their day.  :)
  • SM0K3YSM0K3Y Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭
    raisindot said:
    Little secret learned the hard way: Calling a "mature" woman "Ma'am" may be a sign of respect, but calling these women "Miss" totally makes their day.  :)
    #truth, I go with miss , or if theyre smiling "young lady" nothin wrong with flattering compliments, you get more ants with sugar etc, etc