Home General Discussion

How to deal with tunneling problem

mmkuchimmkuchi Posts: 157 ✭✭
Just had a Pepin Original, and during the 1st inch it was having the tunneling problem; stick got very hot, and getting little to no smoke. This is the second time I had this problem, the last stick with this problem was the Cohiba black. So I ashed it off, then used a torch to force light the part that was not burning as quickly as the center part. The 2nd inch it came back normal, flavor was good. Then to the 2nd to last inch, it just extinguished....ashed off then torch light again, then it burnt well till the end.

Question is that, did I manage it correctly? Any better ways to deal with this, or how to you guys normally do with it? Is tunneling always followed by some unexpected distinguishing? Thanks!
Tagged:

Comments

• danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How to deal with a tunneling cigar .......... Check my profile pic.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    I've had that happen on a few occasions.. Hot as hell won't draw.. End over end it goes into the firepit! I won't fight it. I smoke fast and 98% of the time it's never a problem. 
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could deal with the tunneling like these guys do it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwbFwVf8yoE

Ahh, 90's horror b-movies

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes, when a stick isn't burning or is getting hot and squishy, I let it go out and cool off and then ash and relight.  Relights aren't optimal, but it's better than fighting a cigar that's overheating.

If it's truly a construction problem this may not help, but if it is rh or outside conditions related it may.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • jsnblnchrdjsnblnchrd Posts: 33
    I find that I usually have tunneling when I'm not smoking it fast enough. Not because I mean to, but some sticks just want you to smoke it quicker. 
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    Sweet I got flagged as spam. I like spam. 

I have honestly only had one cigar with tunneling issues (ghurka). I think what you did was the best course of action. Though darktower's comment about pitching it seems like a plausible solution. Might have been just a bad stick.

Are there any consistencies between the two? How long did you age them and at what temp and rh?

-Jay
    Post edited by jarubla on
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am sure that was an accident.