Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Father of the Year

ejgormanejgorman Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
After a tumble on her balance bike a year ago thanks to her Grandpa, my daughter decided she wanted to give it another go. We quickly discovered that her balance bike was way too small so we jumped in the car to buy her a new bike. Of course she wanted to ride it today. On the way out, my wife hands me a supply of protective gear. We get to the local school parking lot and I take a quick survey. Helmet check. Hello Kitty knee pads, elbow pads and gloves; We don't need no stinkin' knee pads, elbow pads or gloves! She's got training wheels for crying out loud. She cranks the handles 90 degrees on a downhill slope and goes ass over tea kettle, scrapes her knee and all hell breaks loose. I tell my wife it's good for her...builds character. Hell, I didn't even have training wheels, got a running push from my dad, crashed into a tree, I survived, the tree didn't. And I got my ass back on that bike. Daughter will too, but next time it will be in Hello Kitty safety gear and wrapped in bubble wrap. 
East Side 2015
KLMOW Badge 8/2014
Team Trident 2014

Comments

• Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All 3 of my kids are now training wheels free.  The 2 younger ones looked at me a week ago and said we are too big for these things,  take them off please daddy. 
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing this with us. Good luck on your next attempt. 

My son, at exactly four years of age, and on receipt of his first "real" bike, demanded immediately that the training wheels be removed. I took them off and I padded him up fully expecting him to crash and for me to re-install the training wheels. It was a 15" BMX style bike and almost too big for him.  I pushed him across the yard and after a couple of failed attempts, (one of which he assured me I was totally to blame) he soon grasped the concepts of inertia and balance. We rode everywhere together. I say keep 'em padded. and, keep 'em on the grass until they "get it". They will crash but, doing those two things removes the fear of a painful crash and let's them focus on riding instead of falling.  
  • Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    I have one child left still using training wheels. He is a bit of a shrimp, and usually happy to take the razor scooter instead when the kids all want to pedal around the block. Gonna have to get him a big kid bike soon.

I can still remember when my dad helped me on my first bike. Helmets were a foreign concept back then...

Goodonya for helping your lil girl with learning how to ride!
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    You're a good dad, daughter may never be a knee model though, lol.  
  • Options
    twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes the best thing you can teach your child is to get back up after a fall !!

comes in handy a lot in life

no matter where you go, there you are.