Home Non Cigar Related

Walmart Apologizes for Making ISIS Cake After Refusing Confederate Flag Cake

EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
Retail chain Walmart has apologized for making a cake decorated with the flag of the so-called Islamic State (ISIS) for a man who was previously refused a Confederate flag-themed cake.

In response to his ISIS cake, Slidell, Louisiana, resident Chuck Netzhammer posted a YouTube video calling Walmart out for the apparent double standard. In the video, Netzhammer explains that he requested the first cake be decorated with the Confederate flag and the text "heritage not hate."

Walmart, however, was one of the chains that last week announced it would stop selling merchandise bearing the symbol in light of the racially motivated shootings at the Emanuel AME Church in Charleston, South Carolina, on June 17. The bakery declined the order.

Netzhammer then ordered a second cake bearing the flag of the terrorist group calling itself the Islamic State, which the bakery made.

"ISIS happens to be someone who we're fighting against right now, who are killing are men and boys overseas and are beheading Christians," Netzhammer says in the video.

Walmart has subsequently apologized – not to Netzhammer about the double standard he perceives, however, but for making the ISIS cake.

"It's unfortunate one customer thought to take advantage of an associate who did not know the flag and its meaning," Walmart spokesperson John Forrest Ales told USA Today. "This cake should not have been made, and we apologize for the mistake."

Comments

• ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Yeah I didn't really think they knew what they were printing on the cake. Now if he had a Nazì flag cake that said heritage not hate that would have been a different story.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Oh I would have made the ISIS cake, with a little ex-lax in in it maybe, maybe more.  
  • pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    http://gawker.com/cnn-mistakes-isis-style-****-flag-at-pride-parade-for-1714409153

My god it's even showing up in pride parades in London. Hehehe

Whoever made this flag is brilliant and should lead a campaign against the sensationalism and feigned outrage that is modern news media. Bravo!
  • skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This flag offends me, and I would like to see it removed....slowly.....  LOL

How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Slowly? Rely? Man I am in a different mindset than you. Just saying.