Home Ratings & Reviews

Week five group review 7/13/15 -- Cladwell Eastern Standard

avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
This weeks review
Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White

Comments

• Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am in on this one but it will be Friday or Saturday before I can. My caldwells are only two weeks removed from the freezer.
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are one of my favorites,  I'll post a review in the next couple of days
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Last night I lit up my Eastern Standard for the week.  I have had 1 of these before and was not overly impressed with it but lots of people speak highly of it so I wanted to give it another fair shake.  

My pallet was a bit shot from an earlier smoke and some beer that it was tough to pick up the flavors but I definitely enjoyed this much better than the first go around.  It had a super clean burn with no touch ups needed and was a very pleasant smoke.  Lots of smoke from it, my only gripe was the retro was a little harsh to stand.  This was not a deal breaker as I just wont retro it anymore.  Thanks @SecretSquirrel for this stick from the gang war!

Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Caldwell Eastern Standard Euro Express:

Paired with Glenmorangie.  This cigar is a really neat combination of black pepper, citrus, cream, and a deep earthy tobacco flavor.  The citrus really comes out in the smaller sizes, I've had the Cream Crush Churchill and it is noticeably lighter on the citrus and pepper.  

This is one of my favorite cigars; it has the light spice and cream of a good connecticut, but adds a lot more complexity.  I really like the citrus twist it seems to have.  

Maybe I'll smoke another and take a pic of it.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I paired mine with a Belgian white ale to match the citrus and they go great together. I pick up the same lite pepper, cream, and citrus flavors. My only complaint on this stick which I haven't experienced before with Caldwell is a tight draw. It's only about 3 weeks removed from the freezer so that may be the issue but I love these.
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015

I'm playing catch up and, not in order. This review was from last night. (Tuesday evening / Wednesday AM)

8/5/15 

This specimen, Euro Express is a 5 1/2 X 44 carona. On the pre-light draw I get plenty of light flavors. I'd almost call it a minty sensation with some citrus flavor. After lighting up I don't get the expected citrus but it does return again on the finish before I am done with the first inch. This cigar is begging to be paired with some cool water. As Brad mentioned in his post the retro can be harsh. However, It may be that I am to blame. I am not accustomed to choosing 44 ring gauge cigars. I'll throttle back on the draw and see if that helps. I'm more used to a puff puff draw teqnique which may be too much for this smaller RG. Water does pair nicely. The citrus is dissipating. Now I'm getting more light earthy flavors. I throttled back a tad too much. It went out on me at about and inch and a quarter but the flavors were more enjoyable up until that point

This is my first Caldwell of any type. Thank you Jeff. @ExpendableYouth He gets credit for sending me this particular stick.

As I get near the end of the first third I would say this isn't like any other connie I've had. There's some real interesting flavors to chew on. I'm literally chewing on the finish this stick is giving me. I'd guess there's some light pepper flavors involved here. I believe that's where the harsh retro comes from but, now that I'm deliberately going a little lighter on the draw I am enjoying a slight retro occasionally on some of the draws I'm taking.

I'm down towards the end of the second third and I've allowed it to extinguish itself a couple more times. This last time I managed to schorch it on the re-light. Bitter taste in my mouth now. I'm gonna blame all this on my lack of experence with smaller ring guages. After a few more draws it does sttle back dwn to a more pleasurable finish but it still has some scorched flavor in there as well. Based on this one experience I may not have sought out this blend again, however I have a couple of larger vitolas of the Eastern Standard thanks to Rodger @Firstwarrior and I will re-visit this blend at a later date to see how they do compared to this one.