Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Kate's Law

The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
For those who are interested:  Usually I don't publicly endorse such things but this whole thing, and the way it's being handled, really get's to me, just putting it out there.

http://www.billoreilly.com/site/rd?satype=13&said=11&url=/petitions/viewpetition?petitionID=410125953243428263

Comments

• Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    If these illegals were deported because they committed a particularly egregious felony (and were deported after serving prison time in the States), then I would agree with the overall sentiments of this petition. 

But if illegals were deported just for being illegal, I wouldn't support the idea of mandatory prison terms just for re-entering the country. For example, if a bunch of illegal migrant workers were deported and then returned for next year's harvest and were caught, I wouldn't advocate imprisoning them. For one thing, it would quickly turn otherwise law-abiding people who only want to work into hardened criminals. Secondly, the federal prison system is already overcrowded, mainly with nonviolent minor drug dealers who are there because of the minimum sentencing standards enacted in the 90s. To me, better to let these people work on the farms than to have to pay millions of dollars to feed and shelter and provide healthcare to them in prison. 

• Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    reminds me of an adage "Let no tragedy go unexploited". That applies to both sides of the political aisle 

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this goes too far as well. If they were to limit it to felons, violent offenders, and drug related offenses than I could see supporting it. 
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Agree with all of you but I signed it.  The murder was bad enough, but people get shot every day.  The guy that killed her was a convicted felon, plenty of them out there too now.  Cost cutting is everywhere, put their poor butts to work on roads and crap, pay society back.  But he was not a citizen and had a few felony convictions, though I don't know what for.  They don't just hand out felony convictions do they?  

He really shouldn't have been on the streets, gotta start somewhere if the current laws are too arbitrary to enforce, or unwilling to be enforced.  Got to get governments attention, they seem to be absent from this as far as statements and support to the family too.  It wasn't a police killing is that why?  Still trying to figure this out and my battery is getting low, later...