Home General Discussion
Options

Anyone try there hand at building a small humidor?

My boss and operations manager both got me into cigars about a year ago, and it has brought us closer together. We have been killing sales lately, and it has taken a lot of extra hours and effort to get to where we are. So here's my plan, but I'm in need of some advice.

I am going to build them each a custom humidor to show my thanks. Nothing crazy, maybe a 20-30 count small desktop. I have access to wood and tools, but I doubt it's as simple as making a box.

Has anyone built one before? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

-Brad from Indiana

Comments

• Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    welcome to the forum. The only thing I can tell you is use mohogany or Spanish cedar. 
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    GuitarCentaurGuitarCentaur Posts: 21
    Usaf06 said:
    welcome to the forum. The only thing I can tell you is use mohogany or Spanish cedar. 
    Thanks man! I can get Spanish cedar from a guitar tech I work with.
  • Options
    EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't built one myself bit maybe @First_Warrior might be able to give you some advice. 
  • Options
    Eulogy said:
    I haven't built one myself bit maybe @First_Warrior might be able to give you some advice. 
    Thanks for the info! I'll let you know how it goes!
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a sculptor not a joiner so i don't have the tools( jointer, shaper etc) to create the proper joints for a humidor. A few of the folks on this site have built their own cigar boxes. Maybe someone else?
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    I would like to build some humidors myself but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

I have read that should use a respirator when working with spanish cedar. I've even read that family members can have severe respiratory reactions if you bring spanish cedar sawdust on your clothing into the home.   
  • Options
    ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It also has to be kiln dried. 
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
     It really is fairly simple, build a hardwood box, make your joints as tight as possible, dado in the bottom and use silicone or epoxy this is the biggest leak on most boxes. Finish the interior, lacquer, urethane, rubber membrane  etc. Then line the box with your Spanish cedar, I mill mine to 3/16 thick. the f.lange for the lid is key if you can go to a B&M and look at different Humidors to see some of the styles of the f.lange, I prefer one that lips up.    
  • Options
     I have no idea why the word f.lange would be censored?
  • Options
    Get the f.lange outa hear! Thanks for the info guys, with all this in mind the only thing I'm missing is a way to kiln dry them. Will keep you posted on progress. If only it was as easy as building cigar box guitars.
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure ExpendableYouth was saying the spanish cedar is what has to be kiln dried (not the finished humidor), and most of what's for sale already is.  There's lots of it on ebay, some already milled and some in rough stock, all kiln dried.  It's where I sourced the cedar for my trays.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's what I meant. The Spanish cedar you line the box with has to be kiln dried. Some of it is, some of it isn't, just make sure if it's going into a humidor yours is.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    My dad builds some great boxes. I have one of his humidors. He tells me it is way harder than it seems. 
  • Options
    kuzi16 said:
    My dad builds some great boxes. I have one of his humidors. He tells me it is way harder than it seems. 

It is Very difficult to build a "Simple box", I know professional carpenters with 20+ years experience who still can't build a box that's worth a crap!
  • Options
    Well guys, after gathering materials, getting tools, and cracking out on the web for info, I've hit my wall. Onestrangeone is correct, this project is over my head. Anyone out there have another idea for a good, personalized gift for stogie lovers?
  • Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice lighter engraved
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    XIKAR cutter. They are a little pricy but will last a lifetime. The lifetime guarantee is second to none.
  • Options
    XIKAR cutter. They are a little pricy but will last a lifetime. The lifetime guarantee is second to none.
    I thought about cutters, but both already have the nicest **** I've ever seen as far as that goes. While keeping the homemade gift idea in mind, I've come up with a new plan. Custom built and personally branded leather travel cases. This project seems a little more "friendly" towards do-it-yourselfers.