Home General Discussion

Who can tell me for sure..

jlmartajlmarta 50 miles from ParadisePosts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
Whether all vitolas of the Ave Maria line were blended by AJ?  I've checked numerous blender databases, blogs, reviewers, etc. and can't seem to find a definitive answer. 

Certain databases list certain vitolas as AJ's but not all. Like, who's on first????

Comments

  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 admin
    All things Ave Maria are AJ Fernandez made.
  • jlmartajlmarta 50 miles from ParadisePosts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All things Ave Maria are AJ Fernandez made.
    Thanks, Alex. I don't mean to nit-pick but to me, AJ made isn't necessarily the same as AJ blended. There must be a reason certain databases list, for example, the Divinia and the Reconquista as AJ blended but don't mention the other vitolas. And various reviewers and/or retailers list some vitolas as medium-full while others are listed as mild...  It's confusing....  
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    If the different violas are different strengths it is probably because of the different amounts of ligero that can get into a vitola and still have it burn correctly. Ligero is a difficult burn and a very strong flavor. Adding it to a small ring means it will bring in burn issues and take over the flavor from other leaves in the blend. 
    Many cigar makers don't put any ligero in corona, lancero, demi tass, etc. And very little in Lonsdale or corona gordo  sizes. 
    This all means a difference in flavor and strength according to vitola even though it's the same blender and factory. 
  • jlmartajlmarta 50 miles from ParadisePosts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16 said:
    If the different violas are different strengths it is probably because of the different amounts of ligero that can get into a vitola and still have it burn correctly. Ligero is a difficult burn and a very strong flavor. Adding it to a small ring means it will bring in burn issues and take over the flavor from other leaves in the blend. 
    Many cigar makers don't put any ligero in corona, lancero, demi tass, etc. And very little in Lonsdale or corona gordo  sizes. 
    This all means a difference in flavor and strength according to vitola even though it's the same blender and factory. 
    So, then, why would a database listing AJ's blends show the Divinia and the Recinquista but not the other vitolas?  Why not just list Ave Maria and be done with it?  It seems to me that it was done deliberately, thereby indicating exclusivity.... 
  • jgibvjgibv John G.Posts: 9,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:
    kuzi16 said:
    If the different violas are different strengths it is probably because of the different amounts of ligero that can get into a vitola and still have it burn correctly. Ligero is a difficult burn and a very strong flavor. Adding it to a small ring means it will bring in burn issues and take over the flavor from other leaves in the blend. 
    Many cigar makers don't put any ligero in corona, lancero, demi tass, etc. And very little in Lonsdale or corona gordo  sizes. 
    This all means a difference in flavor and strength according to vitola even though it's the same blender and factory. 
    So, then, why would a database listing AJ's blends show the Divinia and the Recinquista but not the other vitolas?  Why not just list Ave Maria and be done with it?  It seems to me that it was done deliberately, thereby indicating exclusivity.... 
    Is it an "unofficial" user-generated / submitted list, similar to Wikipedia? 
    If so, I'd bet it was an oversight by the list creator(s).


    Or, is it an official list from a trade publication? 
    If it's this one, then that is a curious question.


    * I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

  • jlmartajlmarta 50 miles from ParadisePosts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, then, why would a database listing AJ's blends show the Divinia and the Recinquista but not the other vitolas?  Why not just list Ave Maria and be done with it?  It seems to me that it was done deliberately, thereby indicating exclusivity.... 
    Is it an "unofficial" user-generated / submitted list, similar to Wikipedia? 
    If so, I'd bet it was an oversight by the list creator(s).


    Or, is it an official list from a trade publication? 
    If it's this one, then that is a curious question.

    That's a valid point, John. I'll look deeper into that. Can you recommend a trade publication or three?  B)
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Cigar press.

    I can't think of a single reason why they would list it by vitola. It's all from the same factory and company. 
    The recinquista is its own blend... if memory serves me right  thats's the coffin box offering. It is therefor listed on its own. 
    If the Ave Maria was originally released as a single vitola they may have listed that and then never updated when the others were released. I just can't seem to remember if that's the case. I can't think of a reason why AJ would turn over a signature brand's blending to another blender. Doesn't seem like a good business decision. 
  • jlmartajlmarta 50 miles from ParadisePosts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Okay, on further digging I've learned a few things. It now appears to me that there are more than one Ave Maria cigar. There is at least the Ave Maria, the Ave Maria Divinia, the Ave Maria Immaculata, and the Ave Maria Reconquista. 

    According to the way they're listed on a CCom competitor's website:

     (Note: I had to use a competotor's website because CCom now has a "chat with an expert" banner that blocks your view of the cigar list on an iPhone)

       The Ave Maria is shown as a medium-full blend with numerous vitolas. 

       The Ave Maria Divinia is shown as a medium-full toro. 

       The Ave Maria Immaculata is shown as a mild-medium blend with various vitolas. 

       The Ave Maria Reconquista is shown as a full-bodied torpedo. 

    So my question was poorly structured. I'm sorry I took up your time with it. What I interpreted as vitolas were evidently each separate blends (which explains the different strengths) and I think I can now safely assume that they're all blends of AJ's. 

    Thus concludes my mission for today. Now, if only @Alex_Svenson and/or @Krebsie notice my mention of the stupid page-blocking banner (above) and cause it to be corrected.....  B)
  • Gray4linesGray4lines KentuckyPosts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marty, you should've just asked the expert about it. Lol!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • jlmartajlmarta 50 miles from ParadisePosts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marty, you should've just asked the expert about it. Lol!
    Jeeze, I woulda but I thought you were on vacation....  B)
  • krebsiekrebsie Moderator Posts: 86 admin
    jlmarta said:
     Note: CCom now has a "chat with an expert" banner that blocks your view of the cigar list on an iPhone

    Marty,  when you are on your phone,  are you viewing the desktop site or the mobile version of the site?  (does the list of brands have 3 columns or just one?)
  • jlmartajlmarta 50 miles from ParadisePosts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    krebsie said:
    jlmarta said:
     Note: CCom now has a "chat with an expert" banner that blocks your view of the cigar list on an iPhone

    Marty,  when you are on your phone,  are you viewing the desktop site or the mobile version of the site?  (does the list of brands have 3 columns or just one?)
    It has 3 columns but the banner thingy blocks the first column and it won't go away. (sob, whine)....
  • jlmartajlmarta 50 miles from ParadisePosts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:
    krebsie said:
    jlmarta said:
     Note: CCom now has a "chat with an expert" banner that blocks your view of the cigar list on an iPhone

    Marty,  when you are on your phone,  are you viewing the desktop site or the mobile version of the site?  (does the list of brands have 3 columns or just one?)
    It has 3 columns but the banner thingy blocks the first column and it won't go away. (sob, whine)....
    I don't know what you did, @Krebsie, but the banner thingy went away and it doesn't matter anymore whether I'm viewing it on my iPhone or the full site, I get the same 3 columns listing 1085 cigars.... Thank you very much. 

    While le I have your attention, though, only part of the freezing keyboard thing has been resolved. As long as I'm typing in the same paragraph it's okay. 

    But the instant I scroll down or make any other move than just typing, (like I just did) it freezes on me. Can I assume you guys are still working on that problem?  It's really annoying to have to hit the 'done' button every time you turn around.....

    thanks again, ...   B)
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 admin
    All ave maria are both blended and made by AJ Fernandez.  Don't get me wrong, AJ makes cigars for several clients and he will blend to a clients specifications.  If a client intends to market a cigar as "made by AJ Fernandez" AJ will not ship a single box unless he approves.
  • jlmartajlmarta 50 miles from ParadisePosts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All ave maria are both blended and made by AJ Fernandez.  Don't get me wrong, AJ makes cigars for several clients and he will blend to a clients specifications.  If a client intends to market a cigar as "made by AJ Fernandez" AJ will not ship a single box unless he approves.
    Now THAT'S a definitive answer. :D Thanks very much, Alex. I appreciate it. 
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Milwaukee, WIPosts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All ave maria are both blended and made by AJ Fernandez.  Don't get me wrong, AJ makes cigars for several clients and he will blend to a clients specifications.  If a client intends to market a cigar as "made by AJ Fernandez" AJ will not ship a single box unless he approves.
    So, the new Uncharted cigars... even if they're not blended by AJ Fernandez (does anyone know), they still got his stamp of approval because he made them.  Correct?
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
Sign In or Register to comment.