Home General Discussion
Options

Screen Names and First Names

Comments

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What would be great is, if people posting their real names would also give some insight on how they came to choose their usernames.  LiquidChaos66?  jarubla? 
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    peter4jc said:
    What would be great is, if people posting their real names would also give some insight on how they came to choose their usernames.  LiquidChaos66?  jarubla? 
    They are welcome to post a reply to your question anywhere they want but, your inquiry reminded me there's another thread from farther back that asks people to explain their screen names. It's a fun read. 
    http://forum.cigar.com/discussion/617284/why-your-handle-username
  • Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    peter4jc said:
    Mine is pretty simple, really; although it is apparently Benegal-ish (there have been a bunch of people from India reach out to me over the years asking if I was so and so Jarubla, the author, doctor, etc), my handle is one a good friend helped me cobble together. First two initials of my first two names, first three initials of my last name. 

Have used it since '97. The missus' handle is a variant of it as well (her choice). If you go browse the interwebz for my name there are a few other forums with my posts on them.

With a long-in-use handle, a few bread crumbs get scattered over time. Then again, the three letter agencies already know my favorite breakfast and what color my shirt was yesterday (not that they really have any business knowing any of that...).

I know all this stuff we share out here in the ether is voluntary, but the sheer data mining that goes on is a bit staggering. It is a shizz ton.

Ah wells. 

I was watching Corvette Nation the other day and they met with the team who located/restored the #3 1960 Le Mans Vette that won that year. They found it by getting the VINs from Le Mans faxed to them and then painstakingly hunting it down to a guy in St Louis. Turns out the guy had no idea what he had, as it had been highly modified back to a street legal car decades ago.

Made me think that something like that (a car 'lost' for years) would never happen today as we now track everything. No real 'holes' exist for something historical to become swallowed in. We are all super connected; the Internet alone, not to mention the old tech of faxing a hand logged record from 1960 France to the States, makes a long audit trail.

It also made me realize the #1 1960 Le Mans  Vette is still out there, waiting to be found.

But, I digress. :)

-Jay
    Post edited by jarubla on
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:
    peter4jc said:
    They are welcome to post a reply to your question anywhere they want but, your inquiry reminded me there's another thread from farther back that asks people to explain their screen names. It's a fun read. 

That's a good friend Mr. Luken! :-) (even though I know your whole real name... I still like Mr. Luken lol)

Mine is a deep long lasting secret. lol The '66' part is a memorial to my first mustang. The rest is something I came up with that has a story very few will know. :-)

Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris, that sounds like a good drinking story to me!

You should share...lol
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:
    peter4jc said:

That's a good friend Mr. Luken! :-) (even though I know your whole real name... I still like Mr. Luken lol)

Mine is a deep long lasting secret. lol The '66' part is a memorial to my first mustang. The rest is something I came up with that has a story very few will know. :-)

Is it based on the s3x move?
  • Options

there is a s3x move called 'LiquidChaos'???? no... no that is not what it came from. lol

Ok it really isn't something so exciting. It derived from my love of coffee and energy drinks and it was going to be my EDM DJ name. Senior year in high school I got addicted to anything heavy in the jittery juice and was also very wrapped up in house and techno music. I dreamed about becoming a DJ and hosting massive EDM raves and be on the same level as some of the legends (George Acosta, Brian Turner, Paul Okenfold and such). I created the DJ name of LiquidChaos and have used it ever since on anything that needed a screen name. :-) Sadly that never happened and now I work for a bank.

• Options
    I usually don't reveal its origin cause it reminds me of yet another failed dream in my life. but im kinda on a slump in life and feeling not so great about what my life could be.... so count yourselves among the lucky few who know of it.
  • Options
    The_buffalonianThe_buffalonian Posts: 987 ✭✭✭
    Bill
  • Options
    brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    My name is johosafat 
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    brianetz1 said:
    My name is johosafat 
    And your first name is Jumpin', right?  So, what's wrong with Brian?
  • Options
    BroncoKingsBroncoKings Posts: 34
    Sean
  • Options
    Bump!

Any new guys wanna join the list?

I know you probably told us already what your first name is but this here's a one-stop thread for me, or anybody, to quickly access and remind themselves - "What's Spacedonkey69's first name?"
  • Options
    Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:
    "What's Spacedonkey69's first name?"
    I miss ol' Spacedonkey69!
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    Bob_Luken said:
    "What's Spacedonkey69's first name?"
    I miss ol' Spacedonkey69!
    Yep, He was a classy dude. 
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Randy, I have worked in the mining industry for a while, wasnt sure dirtwhore would pass the censors
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

Michael.

The name was a gift from the ex-wife (broom rider). At a party I was asked, if the house was on fire what would I run for to remove first?? I said my guitars and humidor. She said what about me and I told her she could walk herself out. Her reply was you are not retarded but Guitarded.

I do not play much anymore, so I sold all but 1 guitar. A 1972 Gibson J50 that I have had since 73. Traded GAS for CAS!!

I still like the name, I have the guitars and the humidors, and she went back to OZ.

Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cigarded?
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    dirtdude said:
    Randy, I have worked in the mining industry for a while, wasnt sure dirtwhore would pass the censors

Congrats @dirtdude! I've been looking for a new member to "welcome" to the forum and you gave me just the excuse. My family settled in the Keweenaw in Michigan's Upper Peninsula and worked in the copper mines going back a couple generations. Actually lost my Grandfather to a mine collapse back in '59. 

So send me your address in a PM and I'll get your winnings right over to you. Hopefully you'll break my streak of newbs disappearing from the forum right after I "welcome" them. Lol.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SleevePlz said:
    dirtdude said:

Congrats @dirtdude! I've been looking for a new member to "welcome" to the forum and you gave me just the excuse. My family settled in the Keweenaw in Michigan's Upper Peninsula and worked in the copper mines going back a couple generations. Actually lost my Grandfather to a mine collapse back in '59. 

So send me your address in a PM and I'll get your winnings right over to you. Hopefully you'll break my streak of newbs disappearing from the forum right after I "welcome" them. Lol.
    mining community is quite small, I have worked open pit but happen to know a guy in the UP at a mine with Eagle in its name
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Larry, genareddog is pretty easy. My wife's name is Gena and my nickname was reddog but most hair is turned a lighter shade! 
  • Options
    MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine is simple, my name is Mike Todd.
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,289 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Chris. Choose my handle because I like kayaking, not because I'm a big talker. 
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edward
  • Options
    kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Screen name self explanatory.

Name Arcybuesyjonesmulineckpinheadshivolsky but you can call me Randy
  • Options
    Larry, genareddog is pretty easy. My wife's name is Gena and my nickname was reddog but most hair is turned a lighter shade! 
    @genareddogIf left to my own interpretation/pronunciation, Gin-air-dog. Is that weird?

• Options
    genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:
    @genareddogIf left to my own interpretation/pronunciation, Gin-air-dog. Is that weird?

I have heard worse!  Nothing is weird on this forum 
  • Options
    MikeTodd said:
    Mine is simple, my name is Mike Todd.
    https://youtu.be/IhJQp-q1Y1s
  • Options
    reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    Real name is Richard 
  • Options
    johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Black John Black