Home General Discussion

CBS Sunday Morning featured a segment on Cuban cigars. 8/2/15

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2015 in General Discussion
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cuban-cigarmakers-look-to-light-up-u-s-market/

At first I didn't think I could play the video at their website but I guess it takes a while to load. 

Comments

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
  • ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing.
  • ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
     Yes, thanks Michael! Very informative. They seem confident that they can handle the increase in demand. I've heard other comments that quality would go down.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Alex been down there yet setting things up for us?  And there's something about a lady smoking a cigar, I know Freudian and all that, but still.
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Alex been down there yet setting things up for us?  And there's something about a lady smoking a cigar, I know Freudian and all that, but still.
    Well, Freud did say, "Sometimes a cigar is just a metaphor for oral s*x."  
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good stuff.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice piece.  The Cuban's belief that they will dominate is pretty interesting.  30% market share in the  US by the first year and 70% long term.  

I do really look forward to something like a La Casa del Habanos being set up in the U.S. or an importer being set up to bring them to shops. That would be great to get them into the market, and not just online.  I hope that when the embargo is lifted, this doesn't take forever. -- is it Altadis that owns a big chunk of Habanos?  I guess they may be a big importer when the time comes. 

I wouldn't doubt a short term shortage at first though and Internet retailers being flooded as they legally open up distribution to the U.S.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    As far as I'm aware altidas will be taking a major hit. I think they own the rights to the name and that's it. So there will be a confusion of sorting things out. 
    Money can't buy taste
  • SecretSquirrelSecretSquirrel Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing!