Home Non Cigar Related

This Day in Rock History

The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
edited August 2015 in Non Cigar Related

Hello,

Just kickin back today, restin a sore leg/knee. Have a pork shoulder on the smoker with a few brats and some bacon.  Mild weather on the west side today, very nice actually. Gonna get a couple wrenches/tools out and replace the radiator in my 84 Dodge Ramcharger, soon as I can muster up a little motivation. Would like to send my condolences out to Glock, sorry to hear bout your brother. Also sorry to hear bout BDR.

The lover of life is not a sinner, the ending is just a beginner, the closer to you get to the meaning the sooner you'll know that you're dreaming.. RJD

I digress.

This day in Rock History,

Jerry Garcia with the Grateful Dead passed away. I was fortunate enough to check out a Dead concert back in the day. Actually, thinking bout it now, some very strange events took place at this concert.

Kiss performs on MTV unplugged. In my mind this was an outstanding performance. It showcased the musical talent of the band members.  All in all, I was really fond of the MTV unplugged series.

Pink Floyd released their album More in the US, this was after band member Syd Barrett was no longer a functioning member of the group. This album reaches a little further back than my Pink Floyd interest and fondness of their music begins.  In other words, it wasn't this album that got me hooked on The Floyd, Looking back, it probably wasn't until Dark Side of the Moon was release till I became interested in the band.  Though afterwards I did start listening to their earlier stuff.

Enjoy

https://youtu.be/JT8zLTaKxeE

https://youtu.be/VNGLY32VvZI

https://youtu.be/qz9EjhTfc2A

Comments

• jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That KISS Unplugged performance was great!
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Mr. Garcia put mind-worms in my head all last night after listening to this .....  :#

anybody recall the name of that piece??
    Post edited by jlmarta on
    Marty, 

That song is Ripple:

"If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine
    And my tunes were played on the harp unstrung,
    Would you hear my voice come through the music?
    Would you hold it near as it were your own?

It's a hand-me-down, the thoughts are broken,
    Perhaps they're better left unsung.
    I don't know, don't really care
    Let there be songs to fill the air.

Ripple in still water,
    When there is no pebble tossed,
    Nor wind to blow.

Reach out your hand if your cup be empty,
    If your cup is full may it be again,
    Let it be known there is a fountain,
    That was not made by the hands of men.

There is a road, no simple highway,
    Between the dawn and the dark of night,
    And if you go no one may follow,
    That path is for your steps alone.

Ripple in still water,
    When there is no pebble tossed,
    Nor wind to blow.

You, who choose to lead, must follow
    But if you fall you fall alone.
    If you should stand then who's to guide you?
    If I knew the way I would take you home.

La dee da da da,
    La da da da da,
    Da da da, da da, da da da da da
    La da da da,
    La da da, da da,
    La da da da,
    La da, da da."
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
    Thanks @jarubla, I saw where it said Ripple on the startup screen but it didn't ring a bell so I tried looking up which songs were played at each concert, thinking I might get a clue that way but, man, they did a lot of concerts. I gave up on that endeavor....  B)
    edited August 2015
    Ahh, I get it Marty! I think that one was 1980, yes? lets dig for more hints!

EDIT: Found it (posted in the comments of the video itself) "Recorded Live: 10/31/1980 - Radio City Music Hall (New York, NY)"

-Jay
    Yep. It's a gooder'n.....  ;)