Home General Discussion
Options

The newest newbie CCOM

As you can probably see this is my first post on here. A little background, I recently (as in the past month) saw in a magazine an offer for a sample pack of cigars and a free humidor. I always wanted to be a cigar smoker because of so many reasons. Mainly because of how cool it looked on many people. After smoking many of the cigars in the starter I am still completely unsure of which ones to buy from here on. I would just like to know what kind of cigars everyone enjoyed when they first started. Although I might be a little younger than the average cigar smoker ,(college student), I want you all to know that I do enjoy the relaxing feeling I get when smoking each cigar. Also, does anyone else enjoy drinking while smoking their cigar? For me the two go together, and that's what I enjoy about it. I'm kind of a girly drinker, so I was wondering if there were any suggestions on drinks I could make that go well with cigars or maybe a certain cigar. I would love to hear any and all the opinions of those that make this forum so entertaining to this newbie. Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First off, welcome to the forum!

What cigars did you get in your starter? Did they come with a method of humidified storage? That can hugely affect the way a cigar burns/tastes/is enjoyed

I really like the starter set IV here on cigar.com I have steered a dozen people to buy it--humidor, ten quality sticks, for 39.99. Damn good deal!

I was a green dude this spring; with the guidance of the humans here, with checking out a bunch of YouTube videos, and asking a bunch of questions I am on my way.

If I may make another recommendation; get the build your own sampler here on Cigar.com; research the sticks there, but you'll just need to take a leap of faith. YOU GOT THIS!!!

:)

Oh, where are you from? Been a few years since I've been in Iowa, had family out in Shenandoah a few years back.

Take care,
    Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome D
    You have landed in the right place. Recommendations for what to buy next might be plentiful but you probably won't find a consensus as to what you should try next. I'll turn the question back to you because it's really all about your preferences more than mine. What cigars in the sampler that you have already tried really stood out as your favorites? Based on that we may be able to offer a few more suggestions. Without any information to go on at this point,  I might recommend the

Top-Rated Bakers Dozen II

http://www.cigar.com/samplers/90691/top-rated-bakers-dozen-ii/#p-157058

Keep us posted on your progress and we'll help you out as much as possible. This is a great place to learn more about the process and enjoyment of cigars.

• Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum, or poorhouse.  So many cigars, it's a little overwhelming but you'll find some favorites and then more favorites.  Or just buy a fiver of something you already tried and liked and smoke them while you try some others.  May want to get a ccom rep and deal with them for suggestions too.  Look into the cigar of the month club, you get a good variety every month and don't have to anguish over choosing.  Just have fun with it.  Oh, and you'll need a bigger humi, lol.
  • Options
    NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep.... I started with the sampler and humidor. It's been a month and a half of me buying samplers each week too...I'm definately enjoying multiple sticks. I Enjoy a high ball glass of bourbon with them usually. Right now I guess I am leaning towards Connecticut wraps seems easier for me to smoke as a rookie. I like them all though. Just figure out which ones taste the best to you and that's the route you will start off with.... happy smoking and welcome to the forums.
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    @Dmuch1112 , my story is almost identical to yours. Except that I got two sampler/humidor setups from Cigars.com and its sister site. 

Everything everyone else has said here is right on. Might add that you'll probably find certain cigars in your sampler that have a taste profile that appeals to you more than others. Once you've identified 3-4 cigars that are your favorite, you might want to come back here and state that these are your favorites and see if there are similar kinds that others might recommend. And if anyone asks you for your address, better watch out--your mailbox may be flattened by incoming c-bombs. If anything, we're a generous lot around here. 
  • Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recommend trying out the San Cristobal lines along with La Aroma de Cuba. 
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239

Dmuch, Welcome to the family!  If you need any help or advice please do not hesitate to contact someone like myself, as account managers we'll be happy to work with you on a one on one basis to assure you get the best deals and have the ultimate smoking experience.  Enjoy your stay here at Cigar.com!

Sean Lamb | Tobacconist | Cigar.com

PH 800-357-9800 x782 | FAX 877-464-2872

slamb@cigar.com

• Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    raisindot said:
    And if anyone asks you for your address, better watch out--your mailbox may be flattened by incoming c-bombs. If anything, we're a generous lot around here. 

Ignore this guy and hit me up with your address in a private message. Welcome to the forum.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome!

Are girly drinks like smirnoff ice? Hmmmm, I like bourbon or scotch, usually neat or with ice (bourbon).  Maybe a mixed drink like an old fashioned or a manhattan wouldn't be too strong. One of my favorites is bourbon topped with canada dry gingerale and a lime, with lots of ice.

Sometimes a nice beer goes well.  I like something citrusy with a spicy cigar, corona with lime or an IPA. I'm not really into stouts, but that would probably work too.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Dmuch1112Dmuch1112 Posts: 4
    jarubla said:
    First off, welcome to the forum!

What cigars did you get in your starter? Did they come with a method of humidified storage? That can hugely affect the way a cigar burns/tastes/is enjoyed

I really like the starter set IV here on cigar.com I have steered a dozen people to buy it--humidor, ten quality sticks, for 39.99. Damn good deal!

I was a green dude this spring; with the guidance of the humans here, with checking out a bunch of YouTube videos, and asking a bunch of questions I am on my way.

If I may make another recommendation; get the build your own sampler here on Cigar.com; research the sticks there, but you'll just need to take a leap of faith. YOU GOT THIS!!!

:)

Oh, where are you from? Been a few years since I've been in Iowa, had family out in Shenandoah a few years back.

Take care,
    Jay
    Thanks! 
    In the starter there were some name brands like 5 Vegas, and Ghurka. Sorry if I spelled that wrong! There was one that had a wrapper that said Fusion. I liked it the most of them all. It wasn't very dark and it had a nice flavor. very smooth in my opinion. I'll definitely have to check out that starter set IV...In fact I will right after this! Awesome! I am from Council Bluffs not too far from Shenandoah. 
  • Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good stuff! I love trying new cigars. That fusion was a Rocky Patel stick.

You live in a beautiful part of the state. Love that place!

Again, welcome to the forum!

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    RSIIIRSIII Posts: 8
    My first (and one of my favorites) was the Hampton Court by Macanudo, which comes in a metal tube which is really nice to take hiking or to bonfires.  Also, I too am a first year undergraduate at The University of Akron!
  • Options
    Dmuch1112Dmuch1112 Posts: 4
    Bob_Luken said:
    Welcome D
    You have landed in the right place. Recommendations for what to buy next might be plentiful but you probably won't find a consensus as to what you should try next. I'll turn the question back to you because it's really all about your preferences more than mine. What cigars in the sampler that you have already tried really stood out as your favorites? Based on that we may be able to offer a few more suggestions. Without any information to go on at this point,  I might recommend the

Top-Rated Bakers Dozen II

http://www.cigar.com/samplers/90691/top-rated-bakers-dozen-ii/#p-157058

Keep us posted on your progress and we'll help you out as much as possible. This is a great place to learn more about the process and enjoyment of cigars.

Well to be totally honest I can recognize some of the brands, but I mainly went on the color and look of the cigar (not my best idea). There were two that I liked that were lighter, I know the name of was was Fusion. But then there was also a dark one that I liked. So I now know that next pack or set that I get will be accounted for and remembered with each wrapper. Thanks for the feedback and recommendation!