Home General Discussion

cigar smoking slump advice

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
I have been in a bit of a stogie slump. The weather here has either been too warm or humid to smoke and I don't want to have to buy a cigar and pay for lounge time at my local B&M. If im too hot or sweaty, no matter how much I enjoy something normally... I will hate it. I don't want to mar a good cigar cause the weather makes me feel gross. lol I also don't have anywhere to smoke when it starts getting rainy...

My question is for you all who live in hot or humid climates. If you have to smoke outside how do you remedy the heat? I could set up a fan but then i don't want the smoke blowing right in my face and eyes or get ashed every couple puffs....HAAAALLLLLP
Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Shade and icewater.  When I was in the Memphis area, I had a ceiling fan on my back porch that helped a ton.  I don't think I'd want a fan blowing it in my face, either, but maybe if you positioned it slightly behind you to blow around you it might help?  Now that I'm in a less humid spot, I find myself smoking less because I don't have the covered porch.  At least what I have isn't as deep.  So it doesn't provide nearly as much shade or rain protection.  Big covered porches are great.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a ceiling fan on my back porch but most of the time I wait till dark when it's at least tolerable
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's always hot and steamy down here in New Orleans...
    When it gets too hot and nasty outside for me I make a trip up to my local hooters, sit outside with a pitcher of cold beer, and watch some sports while i puff a stogie. Of course I wait till the sun sets. 
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah that's my issue as well...  my last house had a covered patio that worked great for cigars. I just had to find the spot with the least holes in the roof so I wouldn't get leaked on when it was raining. lol

I might have to suck it up and relocate things from my little shed and use that as my "smoking room". that was my original plan but I never got around to doing anything about it.

I do like the fan blowing from behind to avoid the smoke in the face.... might be worth a shot!
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After midnight, we're gonna let it all hang down
    After midnight, we're gonna chug-a-lug and shout
    We're gonna stimulate some action
    We're gonna get some satisfaction
    We're gonna find out what it is all about
    After midnight, we're gonna let it all hang out
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have a porch umbrella which helps a lot, but I usually wait until after 5 or so, when there is a little more shade.

Covered porch is a dream of mine. If I don't find a house with one, I'll build it!  
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    OOOOOH PORCH UMBRELLA!!! My dad (who we bought the house from) Left one behind in one of the sheds... I think the base is in the other... MUST FIND TONIGHT!
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Covered porch and I usually don't get to smoke until 9:00 when the baby gets to sleep. 
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I usually smoke after 8pm and I am fortunate that if the weather is terrible outside I can smoke inside but lately I have been enjoying beeing outside either on the deck which is on the opposite side of the setting sun so it is shade after about 3pm or in the garage.  I usually enjoy many cold refreshments as well (beer)
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outside, evenings.  Rain:  garage wth door open.  Actually like this alot, as storm watching with a smoke is quite enjoyable.  

What I havent dealt with yet is the blistering cold.  I have no plan for this yet.
    How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
    skydiverD said:
    Outside, evenings.  Rain:  garage wth door open.  Actually like this alot, as storm watching with a smoke is quite enjoyable.  

What I havent dealt with yet is the blistering cold.  I have no plan for this yet.
    You get what @brianetz1 calls his ball heater and build yourself a little hut out of tarps and stuff.  

Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I vote you take a shower before hand and then grab a damn big glass or jug of ice water.

Pick a shady spot and you are in biz!

I hear good things about the neck cooling wrap thingies on Amazon (under $10, can't get my phone to copy the #%<~ link).

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    get a kiddie pool and smoke in the pool.

or

try the porch mister systems. works great for the arid southwest.
  • brodskalesbrodskales Posts: 78
    edited August 2015
    Have you tried waiting till the weather is more suitable to smoke? That's what I do.

Good things come to those who wait?
    It's just been a long hot stretch in these parts. Haven't had a cigar for almost 2 months cause of it. Lol I DONT WANT TO WAIT!!!! Lol
    You live in Oregon and complaining about heat? I live in central Florida and still smoke a few a week.
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

Lol I'm also rather fat. Fat guy hates hot weather
    Lol I'm also rather fat. Fat guy hates hot weather
    -- Winston Churchill

• brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    skydiverD said:

You get what @brianetz1 calls his ball heater and build yourself a little hut out of tarps and stuff.  

Ball heater works GREAT until it gets in the 20s.  Anything 30 and above and this thing should keep you toasty......you can build a hobo shack like i did last winter to make it even better, but it is not necessary.  

One thing that i have found that helps is an electric blanket to sit on and then the ball heater in front.
    brianetz1 said:
    skydiverD said:

Ball heater works GREAT until it gets in the 20s.  Anything 30 and above and this thing should keep you toasty......you can build a hobo shack like i did last winter to make it even better, but it is not necessary.  

One thing that i have found that helps is an electric blanket to sit on and then the ball heater in front.
    The things we do just to get out and smoke a cigar.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a covered, east-facing patio so it's shady in the afternoon. My patio is long so I have three ceiling fans. I also have a standing floor model fan that oscillates. But with all that, if the temp gets above 92 I head for my friendly Moose Lodge where there's a cool smoking lounge in the social quarters, along with a full, friendly bar. It's also a good place to go in winter. 

My suggestion is for you to find a local lodge (Moose, Elks, Eagles, VFW, whatever) that has a smoking lounge and become a member. It'll solve more than one of your problems
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make a redneck air conditioner get a big cooler cut out a hole in top big enough for a a big piece of PVC pipe. Insert pipe( put an angled piece on top of the pipe fill cooler with ice but leave enough room to put a small fan in it. Turn on fan and point pic pipe towards you. And now you have AC
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Smoke early or late. No sun in the sky is always best.