Home General Discussion
Options

Why box pressed?

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
So im not sure if this question has been asked before... but I was just thinking (after looking at the Ave Maria sticks on the daily deal) What is the purpose of a box pressed cigar? Is it for easier storage, is it co the cigar doesn't roll around when set down or is there a deeper story behind it?
Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know the answers. I found an old thread though.

http://forum.cigar.com/discussion/501125/box-press-what-is-the-reasoning
  • Options
    Bob_Luken said:
    I don't know the answers. I found an old thread though.

http://forum.cigar.com/discussion/501125/box-press-what-is-the-reasoning

I must be some sort of something special. I have had all sorts of issues with online searches. I tried google and I looked here. maybe I wasn't specific enough. lol Anywho, Thanks for the link Bobbo! ;-)
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    I didn't assume that you hadn't searched. Haha I know sometimes my searches are not effective because of how I word things. Sometimes I strike out too. :)

My first and foremost thoughts on the initial popularity is the uniqueness and the fact that they won't roll away if you rest them on the edge of a table or counter top.   

I don't avoid them and I don't seek them. I don't seem to notice any burn problems with mine above and beyond any comparisons to a parejo. 
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never really liked them for some reason, but never stopped me from buying a good cigar if it was pressed.  Haven't noticed much difference in the burn or draw which I would expect, but most or probably all cigars are put into a mold during the rolling process.

Sounds like a question for @kuzi16

• Options
    Bob_Luken said:
    I didn't assume that you hadn't searched. Haha I know sometimes my searches are not effective because of how I word things. Sometimes I strike out too. :)

My first and foremost thoughts on the initial popularity is the uniqueness and the fact that they won't roll away if you rest them on the edge of a table or counter top.   

I don't avoid them and I don't seek them. I don't seem to notice any burn problems with mine above and beyond any comparisons to a parejo. 

LOL! Yeah I know you didn't assume I hadn't tried. Im just exasperated by my inability to find answers to my own questions with online searches. Its been an ongoing issue for a while for me. Just like how I couldn't find the name of the curved tobacco knives used by rollers. lol

ANY WHO - im not a huge fan of box pressed. its never been a deterrent for me. Just found it odd... why squish something round into something square? lol
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Don't mind the box pressed, usually double cut them with the notch cutter.  For some reason I like that cut on a box.  Fit my mouth pretty good for rotation but ovals are kinda funky though.
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    I love a good box press... Camshaft and presnado instantly come to mind... Yum! But I feel like they smoke cooler
  • Options
    im gonna do some research... more than likely unsuccessfully I might add... I want to see if there was a study done on standard round v box press cigars.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read somewhere (don't remember where) that they were first made to keep a stogie from rolling off of wherever it had been placed while fishing from a boat. If the boat rolls a bit your cigar could roll off. 

I've experienced it myself so I can see how the notion might have some merit.....
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that I think of it, it seems to me that it was Ernest Hemingway who instigated it because his cigar kept rolling onto the deck whilst he was fishing...... And I believe the Fuentes accommodated him ...... IIRC...
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read somewhere that the Cubans did this for efficiency, by mashing it into the box you can get one more in and the pressure gave it a square shape, 'box press'. for me they seem to be a bit more sensitive to the weather esp. the humidity.      
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:
    Now that I think of it, it seems to me that it was Ernest Hemingway who instigated it because his cigar kept rolling onto the deck whilst he was fishing...... And I believe the Fuentes accommodated him ...... IIRC...
    @danielzreyes   Ernest needs a Stogie Stand
  • Options
    CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Shipping space was the original reason. I don't mind them at all, they tend to be more consistent and burn slower (especially if trunk pressed). I had many a underfilled/squishy figurado sticks but no parejos boxsters that I can remember offhand. 
  • Options
    bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:

LOL! Yeah I know you didn't assume I hadn't tried. Im just exasperated by my inability to find answers to my own questions with online searches. Its been an ongoing issue for a while for me. Just like how I couldn't find the name of the curved tobacco knives used by rollers. lol

ANY WHO - im not a huge fan of box pressed. its never been a deterrent for me. Just found it odd... why squish something round into something square? lol
    FYI, the 'curved tobacco knives used by rollers' are called 'Chaveta' Cigar Rolling Knives...
  • Options
    SecretSquirrelSecretSquirrel Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    I've always wondered about this. I always enjoy box presses, never really knew why. Just figured they were a different shape for funzies
  • Options
    BroncoKingsBroncoKings Posts: 34
    I actually like the boxed press (AJ Fernandez - New world) while barbecuing, I can set it down and it doesn't roll away
  • Options
    wahooschockwahooschock Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    Hated em till I smoked a few. Love the mouth feel.
    I love my pack and a good community (cigars/Vape)
    "I'm at the point in my life where if it doesn't taste good,I'm not putting it in my mouth"
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love box pressed. Easier draw on every one I have ever smoked. Burn cooler and feels great in the mouth. Set it doen it stays like a good boy. Torpedoes will always be my favorite but box pressed comes next.
  • Options
    went through my humidor this weekend... not a single box pressed stick to be seen! LOL!!!! I will have to see if my B&M has any in stock and try a few. I would be interested in grabbing the same stick in a standard roll and a box press and see if there are any noticeable differences to me.
  • Options
    went through my humidor this weekend... not a single box pressed stick to be seen! LOL!!!! I will have to see if my B&M has any in stock and try a few. I would be interested in grabbing the same stick in a standard roll and a box press and see if there are any noticeable differences to me.

Good idea. It will often make a big difference. Some is logical, because you have to slightly under-fill a cigar before pressing to get the right draw. Meaning a greater ratio of wrapper to filler. Also, something about the shape changes everything. I'm constantly surprised whenever I do this. One that I recently noticed is Oliva Serie G. If you like Cameroon wrapped cigars it's definitely worth trying both round a box-pressed in a similar ring gague.

-Bryan @ Cigar.com

• Options

Good idea. It will often make a big difference. Some is logical, because you have to slightly under-fill a cigar before pressing to get the right draw. Meaning a greater ratio of wrapper to filler. Also, something about the shape changes everything. I'm constantly surprised whenever I do this. One that I recently noticed is Oliva Serie G. If you like Cameroon wrapped cigars it's definitely worth trying both round a box-pressed in a similar ring gague.

-Bryan @ Cigar.com

I will have check out the Oliva Series G cause I am a Camaroon fan!!!! lol I was looking at one of my go to sticks to try this on as well, the Ave Maria line. :-) Maybe I should look in my humidor and see what I have and just try to track down the box pressed sibling instead of buying new smokes. lol