Home General Discussion
Options

Why the shipping restriction to PA?

MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
http://www.cigar.com/mobile/cigars/74796/davidoff-nicaragua/

Scroll down to the little ones, and they won't ship to Pennsylvania, but I haven't seen that on other small cigars.  Any idea why?
Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aren't they already in PA?.....
  • Options
    I know, right?
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Now you got me curious. I thought a similar restriction was in some Oliva cigarillos on a diff site. Gonna go reconnoiter 

EDIT: 

The Olivas on this site also say not to PA, whilst the others (Nats, Cohiba, etc) show no such restriction.

Methinks it is a distribution agreement restriction. 

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    Interesting thoughts, Jay.  Curious.  Also, some Davidoff will ship to PA.

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll take a guess.

I"m guessing it's probably part of a PA state law. 

The cigarillos are probably not allowed to be shipped within that state because somebody in that state's government was convinced that children are way more attracted to cigarette sized cigars and not attracted to fat cigars and that these determined children who are attracted to these cigarillos would find a way to get them paid for and shipped to themselves.  
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Bob, that was my guess, but it isn't the case that all small cigars are restricted.

For example, Al Capone machine mades in that size are restricted to Maryland and Washington, but not PA.  But others in 3.5x20 are.

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    still guessing here but, Maybe the cigars are restricted differently by each state because each state has a different "list" of specific cigars, by manufacturer and size, that are restricted. Some made PA's list and some didn't. Some made MD's list and some didn't. 

maybe someone from management at ccom will chime in with some first hand info on these restrictions on the cigarillos. 
  • Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any insight @slamb@cigar.com 

Thanks!
    Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    WoodguardenWoodguarden Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    I think it's something to do with the size and qty. If it's a qty = or > to a pack of cigarettes it can't be shipped.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    I have to take a look into this.  Originally this was only in Maryland and Washington State, I think this may be a typo and will be addressed.
  • Options
    NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The steelers stole your shipping rights  :p wait wrong steal... my bad
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • Options
    twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting

no matter where you go, there you are.

• Options

Pennsylvania tobacco tax law states that any small cigar (under 4lb per 1000) that is packed in 20 or 25 that can be run through a tax stamping machine must be stamped. At Cigar.com we do not have the capability to tax stamp items therefore we cannot sell them inside our home state. If they were in a tin, or packed in 10s like Davidoff Mini Cigarillos then we could ship them in state.

Super confusing and seemingly unfair, but it's the law, and we abide by it.

Al Capones and denying shipments to Maryland and Washington on certain products has to do with state laws on flavored cigars.

Dang... ain't our government got something better to regulate.  >:)
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • Options
    Like manure
  • Options
    I saw some small cigar provisions and figured it had something to do with that, but who knew packaging mattered?

• Options
    jlmarta said:

They are, and we have a special license to store them unstamped. We just cannot sell them in state. Whenever a law is created there are unforeseen consequences.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:

They are, and we have a special license to store them unstamped. We just cannot sell them in state. Whenever a law is created there are unforeseen consequences.
    That's the truth. Lol!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America