Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Take the Pledge

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

TGIF
“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol!!
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny.

What's also funny, I think Trump's a loon, then I start listening to him, and keep finding myself thinking 'well, I can't argue with that'. 

Except the wall thing

Ever notice how so many of the party of "tear-down-this-wall-Mr. Gorbachev" Ronald Reagan want the wall moved to our country? 

A wall is a wall on both sides of the wall.

The Communists were told the wall was built to keep westerners from flooding into the workers paradise.

Sounds a little too familiar.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

A wall is a wall on both sides of the wall.

XLNT -- you get the Aptly Put Trophy for the day.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    edited September 2015
    So, Amos, I am not trying to be an arse here. Not my intent at all, I swear!

This does beg a question for me. 

Honestly wondering; does Mexico have a wall between them and Guatemala? I tried to look that up a couple days back and found spotty outdated info. 

Inquisitive minds want to know....

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe a big wall with some toll-gates to pay for it, lol.  Probably just enforcing existing federal laws would help, I would try that first.  Trump is a salesman and people are buying it, if anyone could get a wall built it would be him, I believe that.  The thing that bothers me about Trump is he's so quick to counter punch, usually just over words, world leaders would have a field day with that.  He's a redhead right?
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jarubla said:
    So, Amos, I am not trying to be an arse here. Not my intent at all, I swear!

This does beg a question for me. 

Honestly wondering; does Mexico have a wall between them and Guatemala? I tried to look that up a couple days back and found spotty outdated info. 

Inquisitive minds want to know....

-Jay
    No idea. 

What I do know, is that if you and I were illegal immigrants in Mexico, they'd toss us first in jail, then back across the U.S. border as soon as they'd wrung whatever money out of us that they could.

At any rate, my goal is for us to be as free as possible, and not to follow the leads of lost dictatorships or third world countries.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited September 2015

At any rate, my goal is for us to be as free as possible, and not to follow the leads of lost dictatorships or third world countries.
    In a third world dictatorship, the president tells his legislature to pass his pet legislation without reading it, which they promptly do. Then the president decides what part of that legislation to enforce, ignore, or make up, at his whim. The president also decides whether to enforce any other existing laws or not. Anyone attempting to criticize the administration of a third world dictatorship will find himself harassed by supposedly impartial government agencies. In a third world dictatorship, the government belongs to the president, not unlike a monarch, and so he rules by promulgating regulation and multiplying fiats. He and his family enjoy an extravagant lifestyle, he is rarely criticized in the press, he lies preposterously with impunity, conducts business in secrecy, re-writes history, meddles with the economy, arms his government against his people while disarming his people. His cronies reap riches, his supporters are beyond the law, media is obsequious, the public is adulatory ...... 

If a young boy grew up in a third world dictatorship, such as, for instance, Indonesia, that boy would have a very different view of what the office of president implies than the exceptionalistic view we were taught in school in the Land of the Free.

Aren't we lucky that could never happen here.

• Options
    Have you gents been following the shenanigans in Venezuela? Bad juju (the real bad stuff for close two two years) going on down there, and no end in sight

-Jay