Home General Discussion

Cool-ador

NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
Would this be easy to turn into a humidor?
If so what would I need?
And again... if so can someone give me some tips?imagethere was this bar that shut down. The former owner and I shared a smoke and he told me to take this home. It works but I don't need another cooler for booze. Will it work for cigars.

This is the time for knowledgeable vets to tell me if I can make a killer wineador/Cool-ador...
Help a brutha out.
"Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."

Comments

• onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the refrigeration unit a compressor?  If so you won't be able to stablize the humidity unless you disable the compressor,  then it's just a cool looking cooler. 
  • NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Is the refrigeration unit a compressor?  If so you won't be able to stablize the humidity unless you disable the compressor,  then it's just a cool looking cooler. 
    Ok thanks now I can give it away
    It was free after all
    Yes it works as a refidgerator.
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nolagizmo said:
    It was free after all
    I guess I'm a nit-picker but to say it works as a refrigerator doesn't really answer the question for me so let me re-phrase it -

is is it cooled by a compressor or a thermoelectric module?  You stand a better chance if it's the latter....
    jlmarta said:
    Nolagizmo said:
    It was free after all
    I guess I'm a nit-picker but to say it works as a refrigerator doesn't really answer the question for me so let me re-phrase it -

is is it cooled by a compressor or a thermoelectric module?  You stand a better chance if it's the latter....
    For lack of understanding of this elevated language let me phrase it like this.
    This used to be a refidgerator for energy drinks.
    It functions and seals. Can it be used for cigars effectively? ??

imagethis is the back
    By the look of it I'd say it's cooled by a thermoelectric (Peltier) module. If it functions you should have no trouble using it as a coolidor. You may have to use a bit more kitty litter than normal to control humidity but it's really inexpensive. 

I recently repaired a wine cooler that had burnt out the module due to inappropriate ventilation. The nice thing about a thermocouple is that if something goes wrong it's easy to get parts, they're dirt-cheap, and you don't need to be a genius to repair one by replacing the module. 

When your unit is running, what temperature does it hold?
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not that I would know,............... but as little as I know,..... that might be a thermoelectric unit.

Mikey, you would be a lucky guy if that is the case.
    Take some close up pics of the stickers to see if somebody can determine if it is. 
    OK, wait a minute. 
    I blew up the pic and found the seller online but now I'm leaning towards it being a compressor type cooing unit and not a thermoelectric type. Thermoelectric units don't use refrigerant do they? One of the features listed it that it uses "Eco-Friendly R134a Refrigerant". Plus it claims to chill down to 32 degrees Fahrenheit. Too cold for a thrmoelectric unit. Right guys?  

http://www.sgbeveragesolutions.com/our-products/ct-2 
    imageI can take it down to 33 degrees. It frosts but doesn't freeze there is no place to charge frion. Do I have gold or fools gold?
    At 2 barely cools at 10 almost freezes but not quite. No area for service and has an on off switch
    jlmarta said:
    By the look of it I'd say it's cooled by a thermoelectric (Peltier) module. If it functions you should have no trouble using it as a coolidor. You may have to use a bit more kitty litter than normal to control humidity but it's really inexpensive. 

I recently repaired a wine cooler that had burnt out the module due to inappropriate ventilation. The nice thing about a thermocouple is that if something goes wrong it's easy to get parts, they're dirt-cheap, and you don't need to be a genius to repair one by replacing the module. 

When your unit is running, what temperature does it hold?
    Can hold between 70-34
    edited September 2015
    Okay, I agree that it's a refrigerated unit but as long as it works and as long as you're not 'married' to temps in the 30's, you should still be able to use it. 

See if you can regulate the temp to stay in the range of, say, 65 to 70 degrees. If so, you're golden.....

And keep in mind that you may need extra kitty litter....

• jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guys, this is a compressor driven unit (it has refrigerant). The thermo electric does not have that:

http://www.koolatron.com/test/images/thermoelectric.html

(scroll down to the comparison section)

Thoughts?

-Jay

“There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
    Yeah, you could try it with a couple of trays of 100% silica kitty litter and see if you can keep the HUMIDITY under control. The hard part with the compressor units would be the Humidity because you have to deal with the effects of condensation.. I'd try it if I were in your shoes. Nothin' to loose. Kitty litter is cheap. Might be a fun project. Or, it might just p-iss you off. 
    Thanks very much for yall's wisdom. Let this necro unless someone gets a better idea. I'm giving it to the better half to chill baby milk.

My family gets an addition.
     We are having a girl between now and November 6.
    She's lucky this thing requires work.
    Bob_Luken said:
    Yeah, you could try it with a couple of trays of 100% silica kitty litter and see if you can keep the HUMIDITY under control. The hard part with the compressor units would be the Humidity because you have to deal with the effects of condensation.. I'd try it if I were in your shoes. Nothin' to loose. Kitty litter is cheap. Might be a fun project. Or, it might just p-iss you off. 
    Right. And the cool part of the kitty litter is that if your humidity gets too high you can always swap out a tray of KL for a fresh tray full while the saturated one dries out....
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

The problem is that when the compressor kicks on it pulls the humidity out of the space being cooled, so it's like having the door open. If there is a way to stabilize one of these units I would love to know what it is.

Gonna take this gift and move on... thanks
    edited September 2015