Home Cigar 101
Options

Countertop Display Humidor (150 cigars) and Boveda

TheWebRecluseTheWebRecluse Posts: 33 ✭✭
Hello to everyone. I'm new to the forums and also to having a real humidor (as opposed to just a small Xikar travel one). I wasn't sure where else to ask this so I hope this is the right place.

I just purchased the Countertop Display Humidor from Cigar.com (http://www.cigar.com/humidors/38366/countertop-display-humidor/#p-89373) and it's beautiful. I wanted to use Boveda packets for humidification but I am not sure how many I need for regular usage. That meaning ... I know I'm going to need about 6 of the 84% packs for seasoning (I already have those in my shopping cart). But I have no idea how many 72% I will need to order or at what size. I see 8g and 60g - will I need 6 of the 8g or just one of the 60g? What should I add to my order?

I wanted to make sure to do this correctly so I thought I'd better ask the experts here.

I greatly appreciate any help you all can give. As I said I'm new to all this and I've been kind of overwhelmed with information on the Internet. I only used to smoke a few cigars a year but lately I've been really enjoying them so I wanted to invest in a humidor. I guess I'll be spending more time on the forums now as well :) 

Thank you everyone and hello :)

Elaine

Comments

• Options
    WoodguardenWoodguarden Posts: 130 ✭✭✭

I had the same humidor, I would recommend the crystal jars. 2 of these worked perfect. Bonus - they sit on the bottom toward the back and keep that bottom shelf angled the same as the others:

http://www.cigar.com/humidification/38271/humi-care-crystal-gel-humidification/#p-19706

• Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use 2 in my 100 ct humidor for about eight months out of the year. It's very dry here in the winter so I add a couple to that. Buy a few extra and recharge them before they get really dried out. I always keep a few in a tupperware bowl with a dish of water in the center and swap out when I need to.
    And welcome to the forum.
  • Options
    Thank you both so far :) CharlieHeis do you mean 2 of the 8g size of 2 of the 60g size?  Woodguarden I've seen those and I wasn't sure if they would work well. Thank you very much for the suggestion!
  • Options
    WoodguardenWoodguarden Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    No problem, I have used them in everything from a 150 - 1500 count and they work excellent. I would think if you want to use Boveda, probably 4 packs to start and see where you are at.
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you both so far :) CharlieHeis do you mean 2 of the 8g size of 2 of the 60g size?  Woodguarden I've seen those and I wasn't sure if they would work well. Thank you very much for the suggestion!
    The 60g are the size you want. The 8g are the very small ones some companies ship with your order. Save them and use them when traveling. 
  • Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use heartfelt beads with very little upkeep. Google them.
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    Thank you everyone! :) 
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The one good thing about boveda is you can't use to many better to have one to many than one short. But I think rule of thumb is one for the humi then one for every 50 cigars if using the big packs.