Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Looking for similar to Cohiba Red Dot

tabakotabako Posts: 365 ✭✭✭
Had a Cohiba Red Dot and really enjoyed it. Can't afford to make this my daily go to, so thought I'd ask if anyone knows of a comparable stick at a lower price point?

Comments

• Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought Ccom had some, but it is the sister site which does -- Cohiba CI knock offs

Price looks good for a bundle of 30. Let me know how they are?

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    I've not had a Red Dot in a couple years, so I don't remember the specific profile. However, it is a Dominican, Cameroon-wrapped cigar, so I would look for more of those. Arturo Fuente makes a few, namely the Don Carlos and Hemingway. Both are delicious, but probably not cheaper. La Flor Dominicana has their Cameroon Cabinet which is a favorite of mine, but again, probably around $8 a stick if I remember right. 

If I recall, Cameroon wrapper isn't cheap, so finding a budget stick with it could be tough. 
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Completely forgot Partagas. Their price points are a little better overall and they make several cigars with Cameroon. Definitely worth checking out.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The H. Upmann Vintage Cameroon is a fine stick, and can be had for ~$5.  When I think of Cameroon wrappers, I reach for one of those or the Oliva G Cameroon, another great stick for the money.

That said, I have no idea how they compare to the Red Dot.  Try them, you might like them just as much and then you'll have some variety.  I know some people like having a go-to and smoke the shït out of that stick, but I'm not one of them.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    The H. Upmann Vintage Cameroon is a fine stick, and can be had for ~$5.  When I think of Cameroon wrappers, I reach for one of those or the Oliva G Cameroon, another great stick for the money.

That said, I have no idea how they compare to the Red Dot.  Try them, you might like them just as much and then you'll have some variety.  I know some people like having a go-to and smoke the shït out of that stick, but I'm not one of them.

Agree with this.

If it's affordable Cameroon you're looking for, try Perdomo Mistakes.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    peter4jc said:

• Options
    I tried the H Upmann Vintage Cameroon. It was an enjoyable smoke. For the price, I think I may add a few to the humidor. Thanks for the tip, peter4jc!
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And please try the Oliva G in cameroon.  I especially like the churchills; it's a square box press, not a big ring size, and they are consistent performers.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    tabako said:
    I tried the H Upmann Vintage Cameroon. It was an enjoyable smoke. For the price, I think I may add a few to the humidor. Thanks for the tip, peter4jc!
    Where are in in Washington?  And +1 on the vintage Cameroon. 
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Echambers said:
    tabako said:
    Where are in in Washington?  And +1 on the vintage Cameroon. 
    Oh sure Eric, someone comes in from Washington and you'll talk to them, but us Oregon people, you don't have time for? ROFL!!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh yeah, Cameroons.
    Don't forget Torano 1916, CAO CX2 , along with the others mentioned.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had my son buy me a box for xmas. That was cheap enough. The kid is finally paying off after all.
  • Options
    transplanttransplant Posts: 111 ✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    And please try the Oliva G in cameroon.  I especially like the churchills; it's a square box press, not a big ring size, and they are consistent performers.
    I'll second this.  The G is a very good smoke and reasonably priced.
    Kipling was a wise man.
  • Options
    peter4jc said:

I tried the H Upmann Vintage Camaroon and I liked it. I also tried the Yarguera and thought it was good. Thanks for the tip!
  • Options
    transplanttransplant Posts: 111 ✭✭✭
    Just ordered a 5-pack of the CAO L'Anniversaire Cameroons.  I'll let you know what i discover in about a month.
    Kipling was a wise man.
  • Options
    Gotta love the Camaroons. For sure let me know what you think.
  • Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    If you like Cameroon (which I do), you might also want to look at the La Perla Habana Morado. Sweet Cameroon wrapper, medium strength profile, and a real bargain, especially when on sale. But, for my taste, nothing beats a Hemingway in terms of Cameroonish goodness. 
  • Options
    Can't argue the Hemingway. Kinda of the one to beat for a 'roon. Did have a Rocky Patel 2003 Camaroon that was quite tasty. Had it in the humi for a while aging with a couple siblings. 
  • Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    In all this took of Cameroons I forgot to menition the La Aurora Preferidos. To me, these are just about as good as Hemingways, but they're darned expensive to buy retail (hint you can get them at great prices on one of the auciton sites). I tend to prefer the 4" size over the longer versions. . 
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    raisindot said:
    In all this took of Cameroons I forgot to menition the La Aurora Preferidos. To me, these are just about as good as Hemingways, but they're darned expensive to buy retail (hint you can get them at great prices on one of the auciton sites). I tend to prefer the 4" size over the longer versions. . 
    Those are awesome!  Love them. 
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain