Home Pipes

Any ideas for a newbie to pipes?

tabakotabako Posts: 365 ✭✭✭
Smoked a few bowls years ago and, though I loved the aroma I had the hardest time getting it to light. Now I'm thinking about trying again, but no idea about what pipe or tabacco to start with. Any suggestions?

Comments

• onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Tabako,

You might want to consider a couple of cobs to start with they are inexpensive and easy to smoke, they don't ghost so you can try different styles of tobacco easily.

A lot of people seem to start with the aromatics, I don't really agree with that but that's me. Being a cigar smoker you might get more out of non aromatics, Virginia/perique's,  burleys and English blends. For me these are easer to light and smoke.

If you do go with the aro the Drew Estate stuff is pretty user friendly.

You will need pipe cleaners and a tamper, for the cob pipes don't forget to pick up filters, the paper ones are fine.

Check out the how to video's on you-tube, ask lots of questions. Smoke very, very slowly, it's okay if it goes out a few times. 

Contact Sean at Ccom he can and will help.      

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bumped the "pipe tips for cigar guys" thread.  There's too much to say, too much to choose from.  Your personal tastes are the biggest factor.  @onestrangeone made a good suggestion regarding cobs, inexpensive, no break-in time.  Lots to learn.  Have fun, that's rule #1!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain