Home Non Cigar Related

Wildlife

First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
So here I was sitting in a folding chair up at my studio enjoying my evening cigar ( Chinese Finger Trap). I heard a cluck and before i could take another puff eleven wild turkeys come up my driveway about 15 yards away. I froze up cause turkeys can see real good and they had twenty two eyes between them. The turkeys were pecking gravel to use in their gizzards to grind up the acorns they had been picking up. I didn't want my cigar to go out so I moved in real slow motion and got a puff. Finally after five minutes a big old hen saw me and slowly led the rest up into the woods. Last week i saw four deer in the back yard and the week before a big coyote trotted down my driveway.  Life is good.

Comments

• onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
     That's awesome Rodger, about all I have in my neighborhood are possums and the birds. There is a lot of wildlife out at the jobsite and I do enjoy seeing it while I'm working.  
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    That's cool, nature puts on a great show doesn't it.  Spent a lot of time in the woods when I was a little kid, hike out a mile or so and just sit there and watch the woods come alive.  Where we lived then, that wasn't a problem.   

Have you noticed the abundance of big acorns down there this year?  Been watching the squirrels going nuts here, no pun intended, trying to gather them.  Have a big oak by the  the driveway and I sit in the garage in the afternoon and watch them.  They come down from the tree with clusters of them, like little bunches of grapes.  Try and get a pic, really quite a sight.  Beat's watching cable, lol.
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always have deer in my back yard. I live on a 600 acre nature preserve. I saw a fox last week. Osceola Turkeys are plentiful. 
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seen Skunk, possum, groundhog, raccoon, squirrel, deer, and fox all around  the neighborhood.  

Seem more abundant in the "city" than at my inlaws 200+ acre farm, probably because you can't hunt them in the city.

And not to mention all the varieties of songbirds and raptors we have. 

Seen turkeys around too, not at our current place but in our old neighborhood, about 5 miles away, used to see them crossing the road quite often.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just the other night, I saw (almost ran over) a raccoon in the road near my home in the AM hours of the night. He was hesitant to abandon his prize. A small snake. Fortunately I was not in a hurry at all. In fact I was coasting down that part of the road to the next turn. Otherwise his decision to linger in the road as log as he did would have been much more risky.  
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    The Red Tail Hawk sightings have increased lately and that being said the Chipmunk population has diminished. I really enjoyed those little guys running around my landscaping but now, well I just don't see them anymore. I see an occasional red fox crossing my neighbors back yard and there are plenty of deer cruising the neighborhood. Every time I mow the lawn I always see some type of frog jumping its way out of the lawn mowers circulating blade. I always yield to them. As to the ones I did't see I am sorry. 
  • WoodguardenWoodguarden Posts: 130 ✭✭✭

Watched a Hawk swooping on a Sparrow. The Sparrow dove toward a bush, then a cat leaped from the bush and tried to grab the Hawk. All happened in a matter of seconds.

I don't think the cat would have faired well if he actually grabbed the Hawk LOL....