Home Pipes

The People @ The B&N Said To...

jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
When I picked up a new pipe, they said to put a very light coating of honey or molasses in my bowl after cleaning my pipe.

Is this necessary? Do you do it?

Is this some weird tradition or was my B&N trolling me?

Thanks!
Jay
“There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch

Comments

• jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^ N00b :)
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
    I'm not saying it was noobs, but it was noobs
    the newb has an open ear
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jarubla said:
    When I picked up a new pipe, they said to put a very light coating of honey or molasses in my bowl after cleaning my pipe.

Is this necessary? Do you do it?

Is this some weird tradition or was my B&N trolling me?

Thanks!
    Jay

No, I don't/wouldn't. The idea is that the extra sugar is supposed to help build cake faster. From what I have read it may actually accomplish this but the cake build up will be soft and crumbly, sometimes even gooey and uneven. Check out what Russ Ouellette has to say about this. I use his method for breaking in pipes.  
    Thank you Nate
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've heard of the molasses thing, for break in, it's legit, but I have never done it. 
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    Thank you Amos
  • WoodguardenWoodguarden Posts: 130 ✭✭✭

I have carved some of my own pipes, I always used honey and water to season the bowl after carving. Just a little honey mixed with water.

If nothing else it cleans the dust out of the bowl...

cool, after this last cleaning I am gonna try no molasses and see how she goes