Home Trades, Passes and Bombs
Options

Vegas de Santiago Test Run UPDATE

UPDATE!  I just talked to Marc (owner) and he has agreed to the test-run/review.  Not sure when he will ship the test cigars, but knowing Marc it will be very soon.  Congrats to all that have signed up.  I can't wait to read the reviews!  Please, be honest in your reviews so that Marc can get a full range.  Thanks again and I'll keep everyone informed.

Here's the site if interested.
http://www.cigars-vegasantiago.biz/cigars-shop?migration=1

Comments

• Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is gonna be great!
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    kemper74kemper74 Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    Just to give ya'all an ideal of the cigars we will testing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmS5M6D9T7M
  • Options
    Hey Kemper, any update on this project?

Thanks!
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    I have the cigars and they are currently resting in the humidor.  They were freshly rolled, so I'm giving them a long "break-in" before even thinking about shipping them out.  The review is still a go and just waiting to ship.  Don't want any damage to them in shipping either.
  • Options
    Sounds good! I remember the sick period conversation now. 

Perhaps a silly question, but can green and rested sticks rest in he same humi with no issues? I would think it is actually the ideal situation as the rested will make the green sticks acclimate faster.

What with cigars seemingly trying their best to balance out in storage.

@webmost or @First_Warrior roll a lot and might be able to advise with More clarity to my question.

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jarubla said:

Perhaps a silly question, but can green and rested sticks rest in he same humi with no issues? I would think it is actually the ideal situation as the rested will make the green sticks acclimate faster.

What with cigars seemingly trying their best to balance out in storage.

@webmost or @First_Warrior roll a lot and might be able to advise with More clarity to my question.

Green and fresh rolled are two different items. I put green in with aged all the time. But I leave my fresh rolled set out atop the rolling table for a day, then I put them in the dry box, which is just a plywood box that Indian Motorcycles sent me with swag in it (they keep surprising us with swag, periodically) like so:

That's just to dry them out properly. After a week or two of that, they go in old cedar lined cigar boxes like so:

Which itself stashes inside an ice chest. They never go in the humidor. ... well, except for my favorite stock of Uppowoc Matalotos, which live inside a super beautiful small humidor I scored from Kuzi, only because, well, they're my faves.

I never put the home rolled in the store bought humi. Home rolled sit apart in a place they won't get handled, cause they don't have cellos. Four months later, I start burning them.

This discussion makes me want to get home and open my humidors and chestadors one after the other, so I can catch a big old facefull of whiffaroma!

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    LOL
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I rolled a dozen this AM. The bunched and binded sticks are resting snugly rolled up in a three inch wide strip of newsprint applyed like a wrapper. The newsprint tightens them up a bit and pulls a little of moisture out. I have a mould but don't use it much. I've got the wrapper leaves destemed and in a damp towel and I will put them on and cap tomorrow. I leave the finished cigars out for a day to let the wet wrapper dry a bit, band them, and then into a dry box for a couple of days. I've got a 75 count humidor set aside for my home rolled. The hardest part is trying to keep from lighting them up as they smoke pretty darn good with only two weeks rest. I'm going to try and get ahead by rolling ten sticks a day for the next week.
    Webmost stopped by my studio on his Indian a while back and got me started with this madness.
    Thank you Web!!  
  • Options
    I rolled a dozen this AM. The bunched and binded sticks are resting snugly rolled up in a three inch wide strip of newsprint applyed like a wrapper. The newsprint tightens them up a bit and pulls a little of moisture out. I have a mould but don't use it much. I've got the wrapper leaves destemed and in a damp towel and I will put them on and cap tomorrow. I leave the finished cigars out for a day to let the wet wrapper dry a bit, band them, and then into a dry box for a couple of days. I've got a 75 count humidor set aside for my home rolled. The hardest part is trying to keep from lighting them up as they smoke pretty darn good with only two weeks rest. I'm going to try and get ahead by rolling ten sticks a day for the next week.
    Webmost stopped by my studio on his Indian a while back and got me started with this madness.
    Thank you Web!!  

That sounds great brother.  If you have any questions about your bike, just ask.  I'm a certified Harley Davidson mechanic and am always willing to help where I can.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got a question for ya kemper ... this Indian Scout specs 15x60w synthetic oil... my question is WTF? Who uses that?

Now that winter is coming that thick oil is hard to stir in the morning. I don't  think it's gonna start once we drop into the 20s.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)