Home Cigar 101

a rock in my rocky patel

251billyg251billyg Posts: 1
I received my RP Thrifty Thirty yesterday-had to try a The Edge Maduro Fumas.I'm not picky-but heres how it went;Flavor was interesting-like dark cocoa and earthy.It lit nicely-and after the third draw I noticed it developing a severe burn angle.I used the iroda mini torch to correct it.All was well...then a ROCK fell on the table top-it came out of the cigar-its about 5/16" across and looks like lava rock.I'm not complaining though...its kind of like getting a worthless pearl in an otherwise good oyster.

Comments

• avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nish is on a roll right @jgibv ?
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's some whacky stuff!!! I guess no extra charge for the non precious stones though  :*
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • variant2variant2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    Lava rocks help the cigar burn evenly.

Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    yeah.... the rock helps maintain an even disbursement of heat. Its a new thing that they are doing........
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    Im sure the great DZR has come across a few... ;-)
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A rock?  Nasty!  I've found baling twine, but never a rock.

First RP I had was a Vintage 1990, I loved it, and went to a B&M in Nashville looking for RP's.  Bought a Sun-grown, smoked it, went back and bought 6 more.

Then I started trying whatever RP released.  Some were good, the Decade comes to mind, but increasingly I was more and more disappointed.  I believe I've only had one RP in the last two years, Vintage 1990. 

Sad.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    I'm with you in the RP decline.  I like the Decade, but that's about it.
  • variant2variant2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    Im sure the great DZR has come across a few... ;-)
    Probably dulled his blade.
    Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer
  • CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't tried much of his new stuff but I still dig a lot of his older stuff. I've got a bunch of Edge maduro lanceros that are just so sublime, a bunch of Patel Bros that are ridiculous flavor bombs (the original blend with the Amish PA wrappers that is only available at the big T.com, not the re-released  "next generation crap version), and the 1961 was also fantastic but I'm now out of those completely; unfortunately. I also thought the Decade and the Vintage series was pretty tasty as well but the Edge maduro, Patel Bros. (original), and 1961 were my top three overall. 

I think releasing too many brands makes people feel like they are being gimmicky. Much like Gurkha, although RP sticks are no where near as bad on a overall scale. Some may be mediocre but not downright nasty like many a Gurkha I've smoked. I do want to try the Super Ligero though and will do so in the near future. 
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nish is on a roll right @jgibv ?

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch