Home Trades, Passes and Bombs
Options

Interest and Ideas for a White Elephant Pass

SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
Hey everybody,

For every 1000 posts, I have hosted or co-hosted a pass. With 6K right around the corner, it's time to start planning the next. So after the holidays, I plan to host a White Elephant. This thread isn't necessarily a sign-up, but rather a chance to discuss the logistics and gauge interest.

So here's my initial thoughts. Each participant will mail me 6 good cigars. I'll divide them up into three groups of two and label each with a random letter. I'll use a Google spreadsheet that the participants will have access to to keep track of the picks. Each participant can select a letter/package that hasn't been revealed yet or steal one that has already been selected. Each package can only change hands three times (initial selection and three steals). Once a package has been stolen a third time it is out of the game and belongs to that player. If your package is stolen, you get to pick next but can't take back the same package. It must pass through another set of hands first (i.e. you can be the third steal, but not the second steal of a package you reveal). Since everyone is essentially giving three packages, there would be three rounds and end when someone reveals the final package.

Depending on the number of players, this could take a while as we wait for each pick. It should probably be capped around 12 players to avoid making it too large. If there is tremendous interest, we could always do a second one with different players. To make it tempting to want to steal, the sticks offered up should be on the better side, like $10+. I enjoy many $4-$5 cigars, but no one is fighting over them. So make sure you can send 6 cigars that would fit that category. 

Lastly, I would probably tell each participant which three letters are theirs so they don't select their own submissions. Also, I wouldn't actually participate since I would know all the prizes. I would just be facilitating. 

Make sense? Anything need clarification or anything I'm just forgetting? Any interest? Again, I'm looking to probably do this in January to avoid the holiday season and let the Secret Santa stuff wrap up. Also, this isn't an official sign-up and posting here isn't necessarily saving a spot for you in the actual pass. Based on the interest expressed here, we'll decide on the number of players, if we are going to do more than one, etc. 

So let's hear your thoughts!
LLA - Lancero Lovers of America

Comments

• Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 11,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So we would pick blind? And then you mail them to us and if someone picks the one we had shipped we reship it to that person? Do we open it when we get it?
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it would be pretty cool. Something that I have not seen or done before. 

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it would make sense for Tony to just reveal what each one is and track where they go. Then ships then out at the end. Just my .02
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    Yeah, as you pick, I would tell you what the two sticks are. I would keep track of it all in an online spreadsheet that you can all see. Otherwise, you wouldn't know if you want to steal another person's selection.
  • Options
    EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds good.  I'm in. For anything goes you do. 
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 11,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds interesting... I'm in
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm confused, but in if there is room! I leave for Florida on 1/26, but will be available to pick all during that time. Just can't ship from 1/26 to 2/16. 
  • Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tony, as you know I don't do passes but this concept does pique my interest. PM to you and if you agree I'm in.
  • Options
    LeftOversLeftOvers Posts: 196 ✭✭
    I don't get it
  • Options
    LeftOvers said:
    I don't get it

Careful, Lefty, remember that I was the one to bomb the Death Star and expose one of our early alter egos..... :wink: 
  • Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bandyt09 said:
    Tony, as you know I don't do passes but this concept does pique my interest. PM to you and if you agree I'm in.
    PM responded to. I'm in.
  • Options
    Edna20Edna20 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm, I'd be down with that. 
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • Options
    EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LeftOvers said:
    I don't get it
    LeftOvers is not so smart.  
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to play
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch