Home Trades, Passes and Bombs
Options

New year, new contests and games!!!

SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
Hey everybody,

It's no secret that many of our perpetual games are dying. I'd like to help fix that. As you know, I really like hosting contests and I know several others do as well. The beauty of a contest is that you get to bomb someone and that's it! The winner doesn't have to do anything besides smoke the winnings. Also, with the nature of winning, that usually means that they don't bomb you back because they won! So when I saw @Archelaus do the Think Same game, I thought it would be really cool if we just had various volunteers signup to do monthly (maybe twice monthly) contests. Winners wouldn't host next. Each host can do whatever game/contest they want. The prizes can be as big or small as the host wants. I imagine after awhile, a couple games may get repeated more than others (the Think Same game is pretty cool, imho). The host can also just do a simple contest if he doesn't want to do an elaborate game. 

The only guideline I would like to see is that no one puts a restriction on who can play in their game/contest. If someone wins a contest with their third post, that should be celebrated, not discouraged. We all like bombing the new guys anyways, right? Besides, maybe Mr. Third Post turns into the next Bigshizza and he'll always refer to your contest win as the thing that got him to stick around for the next ten years.

So, all that said, who wants to host a game/contest? I imagine one per month won't be enough to satisfy the number of volunteers, so I'll go ahead and assume we'll need two per month (one in the first half, one in the second half). I'll go ahead and take the first half of January since it is short notice. When volunteering, please copy and paste the list below and add your name. Next person copies the previous volunteers list, etc. That way it all stays nice and neat. Also, for starters, only signup for one spot. Even if it doesn't fill up right away, I imagine as the year goes on others may want to get in on the fun. If we approach an empty slot at some point, we can look for repeat hosters at that point.

January
1.SleevePlz
February
March
April
May
June
July
August
September
October
November
December
LLA - Lancero Lovers of America

Comments

• Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SleevePlz said:
    Hey everybody,

It's no secret that many of our perpetual games are dying. I'd like to help fix that. As you know, I really like hosting contests and I know several others do as well. The beauty of a contest is that you get to bomb someone and that's it! The winner doesn't have to do anything besides smoke the winnings. Also, with the nature of winning, that usually means that they don't bomb you back because they won! So when I saw @Archelaus do the Think Same game, I thought it would be really cool if we just had various volunteers signup to do monthly (maybe twice monthly) contests. Winners wouldn't host next. Each host can do whatever game/contest they want. The prizes can be as big or small as the host wants. I imagine after awhile, a couple games may get repeated more than others (the Think Same game is pretty cool, imho). The host can also just do a simple contest if he doesn't want to do an elaborate game. 

The only guideline I would like to see is that no one puts a restriction on who can play in their game/contest. If someone wins a contest with their third post, that should be celebrated, not discouraged. We all like bombing the new guys anyways, right? Besides, maybe Mr. Third Post turns into the next Bigshizza and he'll always refer to your contest win as the thing that got him to stick around for the next ten years.

So, all that said, who wants to host a game/contest? I imagine one per month won't be enough to satisfy the number of volunteers, so I'll go ahead and assume we'll need two per month (one in the first half, one in the second half). I'll go ahead and take the first half of January since it is short notice. When volunteering, please copy and paste the list below and add your name. Next person copies the previous volunteers list, etc. That way it all stays nice and neat. Also, for starters, only signup for one spot. Even if it doesn't fill up right away, I imagine as the year goes on others may want to get in on the fun. If we approach an empty slot at some point, we can look for repeat hosters at that point.

January
    1.SleevePlz
    February
    March
    April
    May
    June
    July
    2. usaf06
    August
    September
    October
    November
    December

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ill take second half of March contest.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    Brad breaking the rules...
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

• Options
    Devildog1Devildog1 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This sounds fun,  I will have to think of something may throw my name in the hat
  • Options
    January
    1.SleevePlz
    February
    March
    2. Avengethis
    April
    May
    June
    July
    2. usaf06
    August
    September
    October
    November
    December
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread is too long and I fell asleep. I'll play a game and make you contestants that don't even know they are playing a game. 
  • Options
    Yeah, I had a little stream of consciousness and didn't bother to go back and shorten it up. Probably rambled more than I would have liked.
  • Options
    OneisnoneOneisnone Posts: 459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1st half November 
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2nd half of January. Mr. Shafty
  • Options
    January
    1. SleevePlz
    2. Bigshizza
    February
    March
    2. Avengethis
    April
    May
    June
    July
    2. usaf06
    August
    September
    October
    November
    1. Oneisnone
    December
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll take the other July
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    ^^^^^home run derby time^^^^^
    -- Winston Churchill

• Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm planning on the NHL playoff bracket pool again this year; playoff games start in April and end in June. 

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    Bump. Maybe this wasn't my best idea. If it doesn't fill up, we'll just keep doing what we currently do. Either way, I'll have a contest lined up after the new year. No idea what I'm doing yet, but I'll figure something out.
  • Options
    OneisnoneOneisnone Posts: 459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If there is not a full calendar, just move us all up in order after Shizz. Hopefully we can build momentum...or peer pressure - whichever works!  
  • Options
    cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @SleevePlz I'll take 1st half August. But don't know how to edit and add my name!
  • Options
    CigarFanaticCigarFanatic Posts: 225 ✭✭✭
    Maybe we should organize contests every half year. So we should try to fill up the spots till June 2016 now and when May 2016 comes around we can set the the second half of the year.

Also I'll take 1st half of April.

We can fill up a few spots for NHL playoffs, March Madness, Superbowl, NBA finals, etc.
    How do make this text turn upside down?
  • Options
    January
    1. SleevePlz
    2. Bigshizza
    February
    March
    2. Avengethis
    April
    1. Archelaus
    May
    June
    July
    1. DZR
    2. usaf06
    August
    1. cbuck
    September
    October
    November
    1. Oneisnone
    December
  • Options
    I think I'll just keep this as it is and let people sign up whenever. If there is a stretch without a contest, it's no big deal.
  • Options
    matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SleevePlz said:
    January
    1. SleevePlz
    2. Bigshizza
    February
    March
    2. Avengethis
    April
    1. Archelaus
    May
    June
    1.matkn293
    July
    1. DZR
    2. usaf06
    August
    1. cbuck
    September
    October
    November
    1. Oneisnone
    December
    This guy read the first post!!!  Lol!

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope is not lost. I may take a spot. Just want to be sure I can follow through and do what I am supposed to before I commit. Life with five kids and 2 German Shepherds is hectic but I love it. 
  • Options
    jsnake said:
    Hope is not lost. I may take a spot. Just want to be sure I can follow through and do what I am supposed to before I commit. Life with five kids and 2 German Shepherds is hectic but I love it. 
    Prophylactics and benadryl 
    -- Winston Churchill

• Options
    NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usaf06 said:
    jsnake said:
    Prophylactics and benadryl 
    A wise man givith advise.
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."