Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Raising sea horses ?

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
i would love to have a fish tank with sea horses. Anyone here raise them? Any advice?
Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Wow, talk about a memory jog. When I was a kid back in the Victorian Era I got a salt water tank just to raise sea horses. Saltwater tanks are much more of a pain than freshwater because you have to make sure the salt balance is exactly right all the time. Plus the salt corrdones metal, which is why saltwater tanks have as little metal as possible. 

For seahorses, you want to make sure you've got plenty of plastic planty things for them to grab on to. And they generally prefer to eat live little shrimp (or at least they did back when I had them). They're also pretty shy and easy to spook so it's best not to mix them with bigger or aggressive fish. If you have a couple seahorses and some bottom crawlers like hermit crabs or other crabs that's a good combination because the horses never go to the bottom. 

You also have to have a good guard on your filter because horses aren't that strong swimmers and can get sucked into the thing (had that happen oncenot nice). They're also pretty fragile. I had about five of them over the course of a year or so and none of them lived more than 3-4 months. 
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @raisindot pretty much hit it on the head.  They are a very difficult thing to keep alive and take care of.  If you dont have saltwater experience it would not be a good starter.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    Hmmmmm I might re-think this idea... lol I would love to raise them but I would hate to invest in something to have them keep going belly up on me. lol
  • Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    And they literally do go belly up when they're getting ready to go to the Great Beyond...nothing like seeing one floating on its back, its extended diseased belly pushing through the surface...real sad. 
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hehehe...  I thought the thread title was Racing Sea Horses...  interesting mental imagery.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They taste weird
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    Poopy_JonesPoopy_Jones Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    They're pretty cool but it's a **** getting those tiny horseshoes on them
  • Options
    OneisnoneOneisnone Posts: 459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're pretty cool but it's a **** getting those tiny horseshoes on them
    AquaMan had this down to a science 
  • Options
    Well after heavier research into them... I think I might stick with Goldfish... or maybe Jellyfish. lol There are a few jellyfish setups that look pretty neat.
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every time I see this thread it makes me laugh.  At first I thought you were referring to those little packets you got as a kid.  Were they Sea Monkeys?
  • Options
    Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    ^ Yes they were. Some form of brine shrimp is what you got. My parents never let me get them. :(