Home General Discussion

Finished my latest humdior build project using a vintage wood cannon shell crate!

ammodorsammodors Posts: 17
edited January 2016 in General Discussion
Just finished my latest large custom cigar humidor build using a vintage US Military surplus wood crate that originally held 105mm rounds for M395 Howitzer cannons.

Lined with 1/4" solid Spanish Cedar, has two removable top trays, cherry stained, cedar Boveda pack holder and Xikar Digital hygrometer.

Purchased this box from a Army/Navy surplus (along with a few others) a couple of years ago and have been meaning to play with it. Finally got around to building one for a customer! Turned out great. Love the history of boxes like this.

More pics here. Let me know your thoughts!

Comments

• genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice
  • kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's freakin kewl
  • WoodguardenWoodguarden Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    Awesome!
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 11,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way cooler than a Coolidor...
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will buy it.  That is totally cool.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice
  • WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice and custom. Great looking humidor :)
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool.
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really digging this! Saw it in your FB page too. Hope these sell like hotcakes for you guys!!
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    Sweet man. How'd you attach the cedar to the walls of the box? Lots of methods I can think of but I imagine, but I would think a humidor needs something specific right?
  • ammodorsammodors Posts: 17
    No_one21 said:
    Sweet man. How'd you attach the cedar to the walls of the box? Lots of methods I can think of but I imagine, but I would think a humidor needs something specific right?

I actually build almost all of my humidors with the insides like an "insert" or a liner if you will. So what goes down inside the box is actually built outside as a standalone box. That way we can glue/nail and get everything sealed up perfectly.

This also helps speed up assembly of our smaller "production" models Ammodors - that we sell most often and need to build quicker.

The final step is to mate it to the container by sliding it down into place. We make them so they are pressure fit - nice and snug with just a drop or two of adhesive at the bottom needed to keep it in place.

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love it!
  • No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    ammodors said:
    No_one21 said:

I actually build almost all of my humidors with the insides like an "insert" or a liner if you will. So what goes down inside the box is actually built outside as a standalone box. That way we can glue/nail and get everything sealed up perfectly.

This also helps speed up assembly of our smaller "production" models Ammodors - that we sell most often and need to build quicker.

The final step is to mate it to the container by sliding it down into place. We make them so they are pressure fit - nice and snug with just a drop or two of adhesive at the bottom needed to keep it in place.

Cool! I was thinking about making a box I have from Bali into a humidor. I figured to make the inside first like you say, with a tongue-and-groove joint at the corners with some silicone/adhesive for a seal. I'm not so sure what I'd do to make the top seal though.

Thanks for the inspiration.