Home General Discussion

Coolidor questions

genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
I may have to do a coolidor and have just a few questions. I have looked online and it looks very simple. Is it that simple and I have seen where some people put in empty boxes and others donts. And I guess you check the humidity level as often as you would your normal humidor?

Comments

• SecretSquirrelSecretSquirrel Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    Because coolers aren't made of porous wood like the Spanish cedar found in humidors, you may need to let it breath every once in a while. Just my 2 cents. I dont have a coolidor though.... Yet. Ask @avengethis. He has lots of them
  • kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After cleaning mine I took the glass out of a el cheapo glass top humi and took the lid off another  el cheapo humi and use them for loose sticks and leave sticks in their box. Threw in heartfelt beads and hygro. A friend tends to them for me since I'm not home much.

Truck cooler just has sticks in unsealed baggies,, beads an hygro 
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Hi @genareddog

It really is simple. So much so that I am cutting ties with wood humis; I use the Boveda pack method for hydrating, and put boxes on the bottom, five finger poly bags for singles and fivers. I was doing loose sticks in boxes, but they were too bulky. I store the cooler in the basement and check on the rh every other day or so.

Rock solid, and if I need to be away from the house (rare), I know the cooler will have no issues in the meantime.

Congrats on the cooler milestone!

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jarubla said:
    Hi @genareddog

It really is simple. So much so that I am cutting ties with wood humis; I use the Boveda pack method for hydrating, and put boxes on the bottom, five finger poly bags for singles and fivers. I was doing loose sticks in boxes, but they were too bulky. I store the cooler in the basement and check on the rh every other day or so.

Rock solid, and if I need to be away from the house (rare), I know the cooler will have no issues in the meantime.

Congrats on the cooler milestone!

-Jay

Thanks Jay, trying to get everything ordered today.
  • cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just got mine after the lottery win. Washed and put crumpled newspaper in for a few days, no smell left. I had some empty boxes that I put a saucer of distilled water in to season them. Put it all together Monday, started filling it Tuesday. I have about 6 large Boveda in it now, with about 60 cigars, it's been staying right around 66-69%. If I knew how easy, I would have done it a while ago! Thanks Jay! @jarubla
  • OneisnoneOneisnone Posts: 459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cbuck said:
    Just got mine after the lottery win. Washed and put crumpled newspaper in for a few days, no smell left. I had some empty boxes that I put a saucer of distilled water in to season them. Put it all together Monday, started filling it Tuesday. I have about 6 large Boveda in it now, with about 60 cigars, it's been staying right around 66-69%. If I knew how easy, I would have done it a while ago! Thanks Jay! @jarubla
    Your second will be even easier
    Finally got everything set up. @miketodd very easy if you need one.image
  • Devildog1Devildog1 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use kitty litter in my coolidor, has been steady 69% 69 degrees no problems at all. Keep sticks in boxes along with some loose in open baggies. 
    Devildog1 said:
    I use kitty litter in my coolidor, has been steady 69% 69 degrees no problems at all. Keep sticks in boxes along with some loose in open baggies. 
    Got some heartfelt beads per recommendation @avengethis.
  • kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Devildog1 said:
    Wouldn't even unscented (which to me still smells) mess with cigars?
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 16,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kswildcat said:
    Devildog1 said:
    No.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That seems easy enough. Unfortunately, unless I win a lottery, it will be awhile for the cooler. My cigar budget has been put on the back burner as all available funds are going towards a new house.
  • NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MikeTodd said:
    That seems easy enough. Unfortunately, unless I win a lottery, it will be awhile for the cooler. My cigar budget has been put on the back burner as all available funds are going towards a new house.
    I feel you there on the no cigar funds because of new house. I move into mine middle of next month and once I do I will have more money for cigars because my monthly expenses drop. Till then it sux because it's expensive to move and my SMART better half danni takes my money to pay for the move before I blow it on cigars. No worries end of Feb. Beginning of March I get to enjoy filling a 200 CT humi and my cooler which will be empty by then. You should see all the folded over pages in my ccom mag right now. Can't wait to get moved. Can't wait to shop for new stogies.
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
    Agree little at a time and hope to fill this thing up.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    No need to rush filling things up! When you do and years later when your going through it you'll end up finding stuff you now realize you don't like
    Money can't buy taste
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fun part is when you go through them and find stuff you forgot you had.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
    Glad someone else folds those pages @nolagizmo
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kswildcat said:
    Devildog1 said:

It had to be 100% silica, there is a thread that has a list of 'Good' KL brands. I use the Exiouisicat and this stuff is incredibly stable, I have a 150qt cooler that has been holding 67% rh for over a year and a half with no adjustments at all. Yes there is a slight oder  when you mist it, I let it sit about 10 min and it becomes neutral again. 
  • MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    So I'm not sure why I couldn't post before but I too have dog eared som pages in the ccom mag.Unfortunately, with a growing family, we need a little big larger house so I'm not sure when my cigar/bourbon/gun budget will be reinstated. However, I'm not a heavy smoker so what I have should last me for a little bit.