Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Smoker recipes

2»

Comments

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice. It's really good on pork. I've between sticking to salt and pepper for beef lately.
    A good mix for most kinds of meat is:

4 parts salt
    1 part pepper
    1 part garlic powder

i put this in a large, empty shaker container and label it 'house seasoning'. Drizzle a little oil on one side of the meat, sprinkle liberally with house seasoning and repeat on the other side. Let it sit out of the fridge for a couple hours before plunking it on the grill. 

Deliciousness .. ...  B)
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    50/50 kosher salt to 16 mesh ground pepper for beef. Thank me later
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    60 degrees in January so grilling outimageimage
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

bump

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

My grills/smokers nor I care about the weather. If what I'm making for dinner tastes better cooked with fire or smoke than it's happening. My neighbors think I'm nuts. Been experimenting for years and have to agree with Marty add garlic powder and for me onion powder as well (doesn't take much) to yo 50/50 mix and thank me when you are ready.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

Everything. Gets. Smoked.
    Garlic bread? Smoked. Tuna melt? Smoked. Eggs? Smoked.
    Last night I did a bag of cheeze-its tossed in garlic olive and ranch powder with cayenne, and some cinnamon cocoa almonds. If we didn't live in the mouth of a valley this smoker would run daily. Hell, next time I run it I'm going to set a colander of peppercorns on top of the smoke stack.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options

Smoked salt too

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe you can fire-cure some cigars.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options

Or barley for a rauchbier

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yakster said:
    Or barley for a rauchbier

Beat me to it. Rauchbier, the smoker you get, the player you drink

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

If anyone ever gets bored enough to come over we can discuss recipes, hit up my butcher, and light a fire. My smoker is like a child, takes lots of watching, but the end result is always worth it.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options

@Wylaff said:
    The beast is built. Unfortunately there is 65 mph winds on my porch, so it will have to get its inaugural run tomorrow.

Teenage for scale...

Oh come on Wayne I'll take the softball. Mine is bigger, not the first time you heard that nor will it be last, and hell I even kept my socks on.

MOW badge received.
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

How are we going to play twinkle toes if you won't take off your socks?

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020

All your smokin' don't have to happen in a smoker.

I bought a smoker, but The One Who Must Be Obeyed hates it. Refuses to eat anything cooked in it. Why? Well, after 72 years on this ball of mud spinning thrui space, if you are still puttin' "why" and your woman in the same sentence, you have wasted your allotted time here.

So...

I bought a Kamado Joe. And guess what? TOWMBO loves it. I cooked up salmon night before last, for instance. Whacked a piece off of our old cherry tree & tossed it in for smoke. She thot that was the best goddang salmon ever. She made a salad of the leftovers yesterday, in fact.

Smoker sets unused in the shed. Kamado fires up most every night.

Kamado Joe came with a pair of half-moon shaped pizza stone type things that you can set below the racks to shield the meat from direct fire. It can fire up and sear, or it can hold a nice low temp real steady and reliable. Simple to adjust. These things are a revelation when all you've ever owned is a BBQ.

4th of July!
    Ribs & beer!

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020

I have a Pit Boss Austin and a Traeger pellet grill, but I use smoke tubes for smoking everything for about 6 hours, then turn on the grills to bring temps up to 250 for about 2 hours to finish.

I've become lazy, cause Smokehouse
    has some great brines and rubs for smoking fish and meat and everything turns out great. I still have some brines I use for things like Sockeye, but the Smokehouse stuff is so easy to use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV4Xy5XvEbw

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.