Home Cigar 101

cold temps in winter

silvermousesilvermouse Cape CodPosts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
I heat with wood and the temperature can fluctuate from a low of 40f to 70f. Will this have an adverse effect on my cigars. 

Comments

  • raisindotraisindot BostonPosts: 1,308 ✭✭✭
    Well, if you keep your cigars next to the stove, yes. If they're in a humidor in a place away from the vent maybe not so dramatically. However, you do you want to keep temps are warm as possible, because lower temps generally mean lower humidity, and the humidity in side a humidor can be greatly affected by the ambient temp and humidity of the place where they're stored. If your humidor is at the correct humidity now, you might want to wrap in several layers of blankets or something else warm to keep the environment somewhat more consisteny. 
  • Usaf06Usaf06 FloridaPosts: 8,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The temp in of itself isn't bad but like he said above, watch the humidity
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill
  • kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usaf06 said:
    The temp in of itself isn't bad but like he said above, watch the humidity
    Having to keep on top of the humidity with my truck cooler. Temp fluctuates like no other.

    Thinking cooler is best bet for the truck but if someone has a better opinion sure like to hear it.
  • avengethisavengethis Sorry, I ate all your bacon!Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cooler will probably be the best as it is going to give you the best seal to keep humidity in but it will be all over the place with this weather.  Use Boveda packs to help regulate the humidity.  Use a couple extra even when it gets cold.  You cannot have too many but you can have too few.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

    "I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • RhamlinRhamlin WVPosts: 7,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My biggest problem is smoking outside in the freezing temps. Sometimes I don't let them adjust long enough or smoke to fast causing splitting. 
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn HahahahaaaaaPosts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd get a cooler! Fluctuating temps can crack wrappers the cooler will help maintain a smaller temp swing
    Money can't buy taste
  • raisindotraisindot BostonPosts: 1,308 ✭✭✭
    Rhamlin said:
    My biggest problem is smoking outside in the freezing temps. Sometimes I don't let them adjust long enough or smoke to fast causing splitting. 
    My biggest problem with smoking in freezing temps is actually lighting them and getting them to stay lit. I usually give up for the season by early January. If you only smoke outdoors like I do, cigar smoking up here can be a six-month hobby. At least it helps them age better!
  • transplanttransplant Evergreen Park, ILPosts: 109 ✭✭✭

    raisindot said:
    Rhamlin said:
    My biggest problem is smoking outside in the freezing temps. Sometimes I don't let them adjust long enough or smoke to fast causing splitting. 
    My biggest problem with smoking in freezing temps is actually lighting them and getting them to stay lit. I usually give up for the season by early January. If you only smoke outdoors like I do, cigar smoking up here can be a six-month hobby. At least it helps them age better!
    I live in Chicago and like you only smoke outside. On some days, you really gotta want it. On some others, keeping your hands from freezing is damn near impossible.I bought some 30-minute Punch sticks (London Club size) and I can usually handle these in all but the worst conditions.
    Kipling was a wise man.
  • RhamlinRhamlin WVPosts: 7,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love a cigar when it's snowing. Don't know why maybe because it's so peaceful. 
Sign In or Register to comment.